Apple store online has not one refurb laptop!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by APPLENEWBIE, Apr 18, 2007.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I noticed tonight that the online apple store has not one single refurbished laptop. Also no mini's. Seems odd.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Um, it happens every week. Just check daily once in the morning & once in the evening, and a pattern will begin to emerge...

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Actually, check first thing Tuesday morning. The more popular items like Minis and laptops tend to be gone by Wednesday at the latest.

I subscribe to the refurb RSS feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/RefurbXML

5. coolcorgi macrumors newbie

"Still Not Indicative, huh"?

I started a thread regarding the "indicativness" of the lack of refurbs lately and whether any "intelligence" (product updates/changes) could be derived from the extremely low refurb selection/situation. It has been uncharacteristically low.

The response to the above "situation" and thread was basically written off - as meaning/indicating nothing. I disagree. If one "thinks" about the situation for more than 5 seconds, much can be read into it. Is'nt that one of the basic MacRumors themes?

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I'm sorry, but with threads like this heralding the imminent arrival of new notebooks, I have to disagree.

The question stands, what could Apple seriously do now to upgrade either the MBP or the MB? Other than stupid stuff like put an Geforce8800GTX in the black Macbook, there isn't really anything that can be upgraded. They aready use the best CPUs, and damn good performance per watt GPUs.

So, how are Apple going to update the notebooks?

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

There are a TON of MacBook Pros and some MacBooks in the refurb section.

8. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

OK so I "Thought" about it for about 10 seconds (instead of 5) and I have come to the realization that this same thing happens every week at exactly the same time. I have been watching the refurbs for many months now and nothing has changed. The refurb site is stocked up again on Tuesday then it slowly depletes throughout the week. New products are added occasionally during the week but the main push is on Tuesday.

This has been the same process for a long time (about 6 months at least). It is always the same and has never been indicative of any new product release.

Just because people disagree with you and your opinion doesn't make them incapable of "thought" and doesn't mean they don't "think". Think about your posts before you go typing away and look at what you are saying.

9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I take it that this thread is about the US refurb store. If so, I agree with the naysayers, its very unlikely that low inventory means updates are near. If this was the case how would you explain the high inventory in other refurb stores around the world.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Exactly. Santa Rosa isn't out. When it comes, iMacs will be first. Don't expect notebook revisions till late June or July.

In case that wasn't clear. There is no correlation between refurb stock and imminent revisions. Now stock of new models, that's another story.

On another note. Don't expect anything new whatsover out of Apple for 4-5 weeks, and still it's doubtful that we'll see anything pre-WWDC. But I'm sure that won't stop the threads.

11. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I was shopping for a refurbed G5 a few years back and the same pattern evolved. I had to check each day usually on Monday to see what was up. I learned not to contemplate my purchase after a few weeks of missed machines. When I realized this I purchased quickly when I saw what I want. Sometimes a few minutes makes the difference.

12. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Regarding what they could do with the notebooks-a lot more than what Santa Rosa brings, IMO.

Stuff I'd like to see:

-a user replaceable hard drive in the Macbook Pro (as it is in the Macbook). This is a BIG deal for me. I can't buy a Pro as I don't want to risk not having a warranty on a notebook, and I can't send in a notebook with a drive that has personal and business data on it.

-better GPU on the Macbook Pro (and obviously having something on the Macbook would be nice too-even a Geforce 7300 would be nice) For the price, the Pro needs at least a solid mid-range GPU. An x1600 is just scary in a $2000 computer.

-a 15" (or 17"!) Macbook. It's not fair that to get a decent sized screen you have to pay $2000. Especially since one thing I read said the 15" screens were cheaper than the 13" ones (because of supply, presumably). You can get a 17" Windows notebook for the price of a Macbook. They ought to at least offer a 15" model for a reasonable price.

I'm a lot more interested in any of those things than in a slight CPU speed bump or integrated flash memory.

And I'm hoping Apple does SOMETHING soon. I'd really like to buy a new computer next month, but neither Macbook quite meets my needs for one reason or another. Honestly if they'd just give the Pro a replaceable hard drive I'd settle for it today.

-

13. hircus macrumors member

Or, seen another way, the number of refurbs was abnormally high earlier, due to problematic early Macbooks, and as the build quality improves less people are returning theirs to Apple?

14. hircus macrumors member

Considering they can put the faster chips in the iMac (less heat dissipation issues) than in the Macbook, I don't see why they cannot update both at the same time. Would make the MBP the odd one out, though.

Here's (fingers crossed) to Intel having a fast production ramp-up! From what I hear they're doing quite well already (Santa Rosa projected to be 30% of Q2 shipments)

15. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Um, if any computer gets the Santa Rosa chipset before the rest, it'll be the MBP. Not the iMac. MBP is a professional computer. The iMac and MB are not.

And saying that the MBP deserves at least a mid-range GPU is a silly thing to say. The X1600 is higher than mid-range. What we want is a really, really great GPU in it, instead of just a good one. Remember, most computers are sold with integrated graphics, and the ones that aren't are often marketed with "ATI/nVIDIA Graphics", sometimes with the VRAM size, without mention of what type of GPU it is. Think Dell ads. The X1600 is well and truly above what most people need. But most people don't play graphics intensive games, or do CAD.

16. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'd like to think that, but look at the G4/G5 situation. It's not a slam dunk.

It's a low-end part. Better than an x1300 or 7300, but it's still low end. Even more so now that the Geforce 8600 is out. A part with 4 ROPS does not constitute mid-range, and hasn't for years.

17. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

No, the iMac has always shared the exact same platform with the MBP ever since Apple switched to Intel in January 2006. And the iMac has always received updates before the MBP has with both Yonah and Merom, so there is no reason to think that won't be the same this next time as well. Whether the iMac is considered a "pro" system or not, that's just the way it is. The iMac and MBP are essentially the same thing internally, the only difference being obviously that one is a desktop and the other is a notebook.

18. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

OK, That's true, but I seriously doubt whether Apple would want to keep us waiting for new MBPs much longer. I should think that both the iMac and MBP will be updated at WWDC.

19. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I just hope they rework them so the hard drive is accessible. That's my number one complaint (followed by the lame GPU).

I don't know though, Intel doesn't launch Santa Rosa until next month, right? And Apple's trailed their releases by 2-3 months, so...August-September?

20. noirluispher macrumors newbie

Refurb...

Since March 27, 2007, I have sent 3 (each) MacBook Pros 2.33 MHz back to Apple. The first 2 where refurbs. They arrived in perfect physical condition. But both arrived DOA. These were refurbs that are put through Apples stringent refurb process....right. The latest one was sent back yesterday; it was a Brand new MacBook Pro, that arrived with a warped screen. The 4th one should be arriving tomorrow. This is the last chance for Apple. They have given me, to date, an ipod shuffle and $100 refund for compensation. But I think if this next one has issues, something is telling me not to switch to Apple.

21. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Trust me, you are simply INCREDIBLY unlucky.

22. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I hope so. Laptops scare me to death! (This'll be my first one, once SOMEONE finally updates them :) )

23. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I just went online to check for myself but the online store is down.

24. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

OMG! Must be Santa Rosa MBs, MBPs and iMacs TODAY!!!

(I'm sure it's not necessary, but that was a joke)

25. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

X1600 was good for when it was originall installed, but since that time there have been a number of GPU's introduced with 'incrementally' higher watt/performance.

SR introduces support for more expensive, more energy efficient RAM. Also an 'incremental' increase in performance via 800Mhz FSB.

Don't your read the most accurante rumors site nowadays, Digitimes ;) ? LED backlit displays are a possibility. And if not that, then at least higher res. displays.

Any number of lesser hardware part updates could see their way into SR updated laptops. Do some research before posting such silly responses.