Apple store online.. tax?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nStyle, Apr 15, 2010.

1. nStyle macrumors 65816

Is there tax involved when ordering anything from the Apple store within the USA?

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

if they have an Apple store/office of any kind in your state, yes.

3. thatoneguy92088 macrumors member

If you have an apple store in your state, then your states sales tax will be added.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Unless you live in Delaware (I think)

5. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I just love how I must pay sales tax on iTunes apps that I can't get at my local bricks and mortar Apple Store.

Damn gubmint. :mad:

6. Reser macrumors 6502

Could you not put your address as a tax free address and use Itunes vouchers?

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You can buy from Mac Mall and save the tax with free 2nd day shipping.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Been talked about here... but why should any sale be exempt from sales taxes? Many states have Use Tax laws that require you to pay sales taxes as part of your income tax filing?

Not trying to drag this to the political forum, but taxes that are due to be paid should be be paid. In the end you don't like how your local tax dollars are being spent - fight at your local level.

I know I am getting tired of being nickeled and dime'd as the tax revenue is shrinking in the current economy - in some cases to just to provide basic services. New fees and taxes....

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

As mentioned, if a store, like Apple, has a retail presence in a given state then that company is obliged to charge sales tax and remit to that state's government. If not, such as many or most of the resellers, then they don't have to charge you sales tax, but most states have a Use Tax that obliges you to put that, somehow, on your state tax return and pay it.

Now, I don't know about the other states, but my accountant told me that there is simply no practical way for this state to enforce that collection, and therefore they don't. So, I don't pay that sales tax, and in fact go out of my way to buy Apple stuff from resellers that don't have a retail presence here and don't charge sales tax. Saves me 6.5% on those purchases. Nice chunk of change on the Mac Pro and two 30" ACD's I got from B&H Photo, not to mention at least 5 MacBooks/Pros in the last few years.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

^^^^^
    B&H Photo is great. They're only located in NY, so most of us are ok ordering from them and not having to pay a sales tax.