Apple Store: Online vs Offline

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spibby, Apr 27, 2007.

1. spibby macrumors newbie

I am thinking about purchasing a new MBP (My first new Mac since 1997). Is it better/worse/the same to buy the computer from Apple's website, or from their b&m store (luckily, there is one in my town)? I want to get it maxed with 3gb RAM, and am assuming that I could get that configuration from the offline store just as easily as it can be done online. Or is it not a safe assumption that I can get the same computer from either place?

Part of the reason for my asking is that I have heard all kinds of tales about people who bought their Mac from the Apple store online, have a problem (nightmare!), take it in to their offline Apple store and are told the techs can't do anything for them, that they will have to send it back to Apple simply because it was purchased online rather than off. I don't know how true/common such experiences are. Should a problem occur, I'd love it if I could just go over to my Apple store and have them look at it without any hitches (I will be buying an Apple Care package). Is that possible in both scenarios? Based on service and ease of acquisition, is it better to purchase online or off?

I appreciate any advice.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you buy it from the site you are going to get it in a couple of days. As it you go to the store most of the time you can get it now.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

if you make a genius bar appointment they can look at it in store.