apple store or amazon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by memberako, Jan 20, 2008.

1. memberako macrumors member

It seems that I could buy a macbook air at amazon 5 dollars less and without tax... in the apple store i get taxed 100 dollars... what are the benefits of buying from the apple store? should i buy it from amazon?

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

The only benefit I can think of would be if you wanted to customize it by selecting a larger hard drive, etc... Otherwise, if you're just buying a stock Macbook, you might as well save some cash. If you're going to upgrade the ram, its best to buy 3rd party ram anyway.

3. je1ani macrumors 6502

with a macbook apple rapes you with HD prices. Amazon is better in all aspects

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Well put. If the configuration is satisfactory on Amazon, by all means... buy it from amazon. The only real difference between the two stores is the tax and the shipping piece of paper. You still register the product through Apple and you can always buy the Apple Care through Apple as well (at the same price).

Enjoy your new MacBook Air! [​IMG]

5. McGiord, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

6. memberako thread starter macrumors member

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The real question is, how do you value your time? Are you willing to save money on tax + the $5 discount and wait on the shipping times, or pay taxes and use the BTO options from Apple? Personally, I would order from Amazon.

8. memberako thread starter macrumors member

9. McGiord, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I think if you pay for the Widnows license you'll get the media CD/DVD, call them and confirm what you'll get so you don't have any misunderstanding.
    And also remember that the MacBook Air doesn't come with an optical drive.
    ________
    Ford Everest history

10. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Just so you're aware, MacMall has a strict no-return policy on Apple products.

Personally, I'd rather deal with Apple directly rather than Amazon. This way, it's then only one company I have to deal with if things go bad. It's only a slight measure of piece of mind, but some is better than none.