Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frugme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Hi

I searched the forums but couldn't find the exact answer I am looking for.

I am going to be buying a 12" PB, Combo Drive, no other upgrades (going to buy my extra ram at Crucial). Is it best to buy at a local Apple Store or through the online store? Would the local Apple Store likely have the newest update model in stock to just drive home with or not?

Thanks

stoid

macrumors 601
If you are not going to be using the educational discount or something like that, go to an Apple Store so that you don't have to wait for shipping. Otherwise, look around at some online resellers, as they sometimes have deals for free printers or carrying cases or RAM or something that Apple doesn't offer.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
frugme said:
Would the local Apple Store likely have the newest update model in stock to just drive home with or not?

They should. And the positive there is that you can (1) Play on the 12" to make sure its for you before buying (if you haven't already), (2) buy anything else you think you might need (other than the expensive RAM), like, say, an Airport hub? ;)

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
stoid said:
If you are not going to be using the educational discount or something like that, go to an Apple Store so that you don't have to wait for shipping.

You can get your educational discount at an Apple Store -- just bring your school ID.

I bought my last computer + display at an Apple Store because I wanted it right away. The only drawback was having to carry the big G5 box up 4 flights of stairs myself instead of getting the UPS dude to do it. :)

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
stoid said:
If you are not going to be using the educational discount or something like that, go to an Apple Store so that you don't have to wait for shipping. Otherwise, look around at some online resellers, as they sometimes have deals for free printers or carrying cases or RAM or something that Apple doesn't offer.

Don't forget that with most online resellers...in addition to them having deals for free printers, RAM, carrying cases, bateries and such... there is rarely tax.... which could add to a big difference in price.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
cyks said:
Don't forget that with most online resellers...in addition to them having deals for free printers, RAM, carrying cases, bateries and such... there is rarely tax.... which could add to a big difference in price.

But read the fine print on those RAM deals. Most places will charge you a fee for installing your RAM, when you can do it yourself for free in a matter of minutes. However, sometimes you still come out ahead even with the fee.

frugme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I have played with all the models at the store and am sure of the 12".

Tax isn't a problem since I live in a state with no sales tax. :)

I'm going to install the ram myself, so no worries about fees for installing ram. I've bought ram from Crucial before for a Dell laptop.

I can't wait to get my new PowerBook! Now I just need my advance check to come from my publisher. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.