Apple Store or Apple retail store?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jean01, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jean01 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I just decided to buy my first imac, the base one 21'5.
    But i still can not decide where to buy it, so if you can give me some infos

my questions are:

if i'm buying an imac on the online store, does ups or fedex handle the product with care or they just trow it in their van like a piece of garbage :p?, i mean don't want to open the box and see a broken screen or something else

And Does the apple retail store sale recent imac build, i'm talking about the week of fabrication here

thanks for your help

2. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

If you can get the model you want with any options you want at the retail store that is the route I would take (actually that IS the route I took :D). I like the idea of going home with my purchase same day. Why wait for an iMac that you can just walk into a store and pick up?

If you want a model that is only available BTO (build to order) well then your options are pretty limited. I'm pretty sure delivery is reliable. I don't think Apple would tolerate shipping their pricey iMacs through a shipping company that acts like the opening scene of Ace Ventura. That being said, I'm sure shipping accidents do happen from time to time......

Not sure what you mean about the recent build iMac....? Apple stores should be selling the current Mid 2011 iMacs. If you mean a recent model that is fresh off the assembly line, then i'm not sure.

3. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I bought my iMac in mid 2010 via online Apple store. This was my 1st across internet purchase (no kidding - since my wife does all "across the net" purchases) and it arived in 12 days - in perfect condition. For me, I compared "my travel costs" to the Apple Store, "my cost" for parking, "my high risk" of flipping over my own left feet (while carrying the iMac to my vehicle), etc. etc. Besides this, I wanted a bundle that wasn't common at many local Apple stores. Thus, I bought from online store. It worked great for me. And, NO yellow screen. All was perfect. In all (when all costs were added together), I saved dollars from buying "across the net".

Hope this helps in your research...

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never had a problem with their UPS or TNT delivery folks!

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you are in the EU I would say buy online, you get extra consumer rights on distance contracts compared to in store. Makes it easier to return (legally) should you need to. On an expensive purchase like this it's worth getting all the rights you can!

6. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

You can return any Mac up to 14 days after buying it in store for any reason in the UK though.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

In store you can return under Apple's policy (unless the salesman tells you directly, but that gets complex), policy is a bit weak. Online sales can be returned under Apple's terms and conditions (so it's a term which is better than policy) or under the law which is even better still.

UK (and usually EU) rights are great- Buy Macs, iPods, iPads etc online, don't get them engraved, buy AppleCare in store (not that extended warranties are that important here) and pay for everything on a credit (not debit) card. Maximum protection that way! :D

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I've bought iMacs direct from Apple and from an Authorised Service Provider.

There's no difference. How do you think the Apple Store, Service Provider etc receive their stock?

9. Pipper99, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

As was said before, if I can get the model that I want in a store, I'd rather buy it there and take it home immediately rather than wait for a shipment. If something is wrong with the iMac, taking it back for exchange is much easier than going through the return shipping/waiting for a replacement to ship route (I had to do this with a BTO Macbook Air that had some dead pixels: I didn't like having to wait, but Apple took care of me). Also, the original Macbook Air had a big hole in the exterior shipping box that put a dent in the Air's box: it looked like something heavy fell on it. The laptop was fine, though, except for the dead pixels.

I received a new BTO iMac last week via Fedex, and it arrived in excellent condition. If Apple sold the configuration that I wanted in their Retail Store, I would have purchased it there, but ordering online was my only option.

Anyway, if you can get what you want at the Retail Store, that's the best route: you get it right then, and returns/exchanges are easier. If the salesperson brings out an iMac with a box that looks like it's been through a serious ordeal (I doubt they'd do that), you can have them get you another from the back. If you want a configuration that the retail store doesn't sell, then online is your only option, and most likely you'll receive an iMac that hasn't been damaged from shipping. If your order is damaged, Apple will take care of you.

10. JS77 macrumors regular

A MASSIVE difference in customer service though. This is the situation I'm currently stuck in.

11. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Yes, I've read about a number of problems with customer service from online retailers other than Apple or Amazon.

12. jean01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the advices

i'm going to buy it in the apple Retail Store :)

13. likegadgets macrumors 6502

If you have a nearby Apple store, I would get it there. I have received superb service regardless where purchased, but the sales person and manager of the local store have gone the extra mile to be helpful. Even the BTO's I purchased I did at the local Apple Store (they placed the order)

14. krzykat macrumors newbie

A nice thing about buying it in the retail store is that they will sit you down, open the box, show you how to hook up your imac, and then set up your e-mail and answer any questions. The personal service is why I chose to buy mine at the Apple Store as opposed to Best Buy-- though I could have taken 18 months to pay it off through BB as opposed to 1 year through Barclays with Apple.

15. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Good lord, I would hate that! For me there is nothing better than opening up the box by myself and savoring the moment! That's like letting the car salesman drive you off the lot. That's just for me though, I understand why people would like Apple helping them set up the computer.