Apple Store or ATT Store ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by senseibiz, Jun 19, 2008.

1. senseibiz macrumors regular

Hello everyone,
    I will be purchasing two iphones on Jul 11. This will be my first time owning an iphone. anywho... I was wondering if I should go the Apple store or ATT store to get them. Do you guys think there will be long lines ? what was your experience for those of you who purchased an iphone the first time it came out last year. Will it be released at the same time at both stores?
    Any information would be appreciated..
    Thanks,
    SENSEI

2. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

There will be plenty of phones to go around. The actual release of the 3G will be very anticlimactic. If you absolutely have to have one, wait a day until they get the in store activation worked out- that (and not crowds) will make day one a giant circle jerk.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Should be released at the same time and on the same day. I've always gone to the Apple Store, but for you it would really depend on whether you are already with AT&T. Activation requires that you tether with AT&T, and whether that's with AS or AT&T, it will happen at both stores. iTunes activation should be available to current iPhone owners, so you'll eventually have to activate with iTunes. There's probably going to be large lines no matter where you go, unless you live in a rural "out in the sticks" neighborhood. Remember, 3G iPhone is selling for $199. Good luck. :cool:

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Depends on where you are. I'm up near Summerlin, so obviously the :apple: store on Town Center will be closer to me. But I may head to the ATT store instead, gauging on how many people are expected to be camping out there.

You're a local to Vegas, like me. First rule I learned when I moved here was AVOID THE STRIP (unless you're hungry). So the Forum Shops and Fashion Show are out of the question. It may be more feasible for you to hit the ATT store instead.

BL.

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

The ATT stores are always less crowded than the Apple stores. They didn't run out last year, so I doubt they will this time either. I foolishly waited in line last year, so this year I'll either go late or the next day. I doubt you will see many lines at the ATT stores with a few exceptions possible.

6. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

I don't think you'll have to worry about supplies at either but you'll probably have more people at the Apple store. If you need to do any kind of complicated plan or have a lot of questions about your phone plan, I'd say go to the ATT store as they're probably able to answer it better. (Also, if you need to haggle with a manager, you'd do better there.) But if not, I'd go to the Apple store simply because they'll probably be a lot more efficient, have a better atmosphere and last time they gave out free water and coffee!

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Right, I can't even get someone to wait on me on a regular day at the Apple stores for all the gadget gaukers that seem to always be there. :D

8. snook911 macrumors 6502a

On any other given day I would say the Apple Store but if you tring to avoid the crowds on a launch day I would say visit an AT & T store.

9. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I am heading to the apple store, just for personal preference. Would rather hang out there than a at&t store.

10. agbot macrumors regular

I'm planning on buying 2 iPhones as well but am going to hang back for a few days to see how activation plays out (I'm already an AT&T customer with a family plan). I figure I've waited this long for 3G, a few more days won't kill me. Personally I'm hoping I don't have to set foot in an AT&T store since I always feel like I'm dealing with used car salesman whenever I do.

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

^ ^ ^

I'm going to order by phone or online if I do it. Give me a chance to negotiate better terms on the new contract (bonus minutes etc.) AT&T usually overnights phones to people.

12. Paul S macrumors regular

I would say either or. BUT for me, I get a corp. discount at Apple (5-17%), so I will be going through Apple. :D

13. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

14. therevolution macrumors 6502

Ha! Too true. I have an AT&T store within walking distance of where I live (it's where I got my current iPhone), but I am thinking I'll go to an Apple store next time mostly for that reason.

15. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Has the 6 pm thing been confirmed yet?

When do you think we will here?

Where I live (Phoenix area), the ATT stores were sold out on opening weekend, but the Apple stores had plenty.

Everyone is saying they will have plenty and won't run out, but don't you think many more people will be out shopping since the price of the phone dropped so much?

16. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I don't think we know for sure on the 6pm thing, but that's probably how it will be due to the fact that they said it is going to "mirror" the first iPhone launch. I really hope they will have it opening cause I want mine now!

17. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

That's what I'm worried about. Last year, the phone was $600 and there were lines. This time around, it's $200 so there's the potential for the early adopters to be back plus people that didn't buy the original but wanted one.

As for where I'll buy mine, there are three Apple Stores in the area but I'm leaning towards the AT&T store near my house.

18. angel1286 macrumors member

I'll be heading to one of the three manhattan apple stores...most likely 5th ave to hangout with everyone else :)

19. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

i am heading to an at&t store becuase i think there will be less people there.... but the only thing which willl stink is there wont be much hype from everybody there :(:apple::apple:

20. senseibiz thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I was thinking... This time around, the iphones are cheaper than previous. so more people will be out to buy them.

21. senseibiz thread starter macrumors regular

I live in NW Las Vegas.. Far away from the Fashion Show Mall, and I agree with you about avoiding the strip.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So you're out by me. Cool.

If Town Center is going to be packed, everyone that doesn't make it there will either head to the one on Lake Mead or Rampart (the next 2 closest). I'd say the ATT stores on Ann or Decatur or Craig would your best bet. Beats heading down to St. Rose or Spring Valley!

BL.