Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dominordelingua

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
which of the two would be most advantageous in buying my Macbook. The price will be the same in both areas, but since I will be spending my entire day in school (I have a horrible schedule some days) it would be really nice and easy to just pop over to the bookstore and get it. The Apple store I probably couldn't visit until slow weekends.

My question is if I buy my MB at the college bookstore will I still be able to buy AppleCare for it? get it seen by the Geniuses? return it or get it fixed to/by Apple?

What are the pros and cons?

btw, I'll be planning on buying after the revisions to the MB's.

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
It's much easier just to get it there in the bookstore. Sometimes they'll even have extra sales on software, etc.

The mac will still be covered by Applecare and can be serviced by a Genius.

Your only question might be who has the new MacBook in stock when it comes out.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you buy in the bookstore, the Mac will be covered by everything that it would be covered by in the Apple store, namely warranty, the possibility to add Applecare, recourse to Genius should you feel the need, and so on. As TEG has pointed out, all you will miss will be the experience of purchasing in a rather elegant environment. An Apple bought from a legitimate outlet is covered by any warranties/guarantees Apple issues.
Good luck and cheers

dominordelingua

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks

Thats great to hear!:) Availability of the new MB's will be the only setback I would suppose.

Thanks guys.:D

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
One thing to keep in mind is that college bookstores often have better pricing on on academic software than Apple themselves. For example, I got the academic version of Final Cut Studio 2 for $499.00, as opposed to the $699.00 that Apple charges. I also got Office 2008 for $89.00, although it is a single-user license, whereas the retail Home & Student Edition comes with three user licenses.

These are things to consider...

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
The best thing about buying at your bookstore is you'll often get better service if you have trouble. With the Apple store, you have to make an appointment and see a genius who won't know you. At the bookstore, you can usually just walk in and talk directly to the person in charge and build a relationship. The relationship can pay off if you have special problems later. And the best part, if you buy from your bookstore, you can still get service from the Apple store if you choose. Either option is not mutually exclusive.

OriginalMacBabe

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Where did you go shopping?

... I got the academic version of Final Cut Studio 2 for $499.00, as opposed to the $699.00 that Apple charges.

I'm going to assume you are somewhere in the US, but just in case you aren't, where did you find FCS2 academic for that price? I've been looking to buy one and can't find anything that low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.