Apple Store Pickup Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fadkins, Jun 14, 2010.

1. fadkins macrumors newbie

Haven't used in-store pickup during previous launches, but may this time. Does anyone know if you have to specify the store for pickup at the time that you preorder? Asking as I will be on vacation on the June 24 launch date, and would like to ensure I can receive that day.

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Yes, you do. How would Apple know that you will be picking it up at a specified store otherwise? Every Apple store does not reserve the phone for you until you come to one.

3. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

in grade school they taught us no question is a dumb question but this is truly a dumb question.

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Yes, you choose your apple store you wish to pick the iPhone up at.

5. bhimpele macrumors member

this made me laugh out loud!

6. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

For sake of not having to create a new thread.....

I can pick up my preorder in the evening of the 24th right? Just making sure they are going to hold it for a decent amount of time :rolleyes:

(If it's a dumb question I figured this is the thread to do it in :p)

7. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

If you are going with Apple (not sure about Best Buy and RadioShack), then I believe they hold it for one full day (launch day). For AT&T, it would have to be the 25th.

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The way it works is that one designates the store at which the iPhone will be picked up and there is a specific time frame within which it will be held for the customer; after that time period, it's up for grabs by anyone waiting in line. On the day of pickup they will have two lines, one for those picking up a reserved iPhone and the other line for those who haven't reserved one but who are there to buy a new iPhone. This is the way it worked with the WiFi iPad, too.

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Hahaha. Yes, they hold it for 24 hours. :D

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Does anyone know when that 24 hour window closes? Would it be 7 AM on the 25th then?

EDIT: also, if one reserves an iphone for store pickup from AT&T, do you have to pay anything? Or just give your name/info, etc?

11. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Awesome thanks.

12. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I do not think it is 24 hours, but more like one business day. It cannot be 24 hours because it is not like you can pick it up at 4:00 a.m. I would think that as soon as the store closes for the night, your iPhone is yours no more. :(

13. elephunkman macrumors 65816

That's true. Only dumb people ask dumb questions.

14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    When I reserved my iPad at the Apple store I did not have to pay; just paid at the store on the day of the launch as I was picking it up.

I think the hours of availability and guaranteed reservation for the iPad were between 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM that it would be held for me. I got over there very early in the morning anyway, as I wanted to be present for the great Unveiling as the store employees removed the drapes from the store windows and we got our first look at the beautiful iPad.

This doesn't mean that the same situation will apply to the iPhone, but just thought I would mention that experience.

15. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Does anyone know if you can choose a day BESIDES launch day for reservation? Specifically, the day after? I won't be able to buy it until the 25th...Either way I guess we'll know soon enough.

16. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

If this is the case, you most likely have to go with AT&T or your phone will not be reserved.

17. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Cool thanks...since no one answered my question previously, if I do reserve it with AT&T, is it the same as Apple in that you don't pay anything upfront?

18. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

when I ordered my 3GS I could pick the store online. However with the ipad you had to goto the store. do you guys think youll be able to do it all online and just pickup at the store? or will we have to goto the store to reserve it.

19. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I would believe so, but AT&T is being weird on everything pertaining to the iPhone these days.

20. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Wait... let me get this straight. When you go to the Apple store and reserve your phone for launch day, you don't have to pay until you actually pick up the phone?

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Reserve = No payment up front
    Pre-Order = payment up front

I don't recall any pre-orders being picked up from the Apple store last year. Only reservations.

22. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

And can I reserve online or do I have to go to the Apple store? I was under the impression that when you do the online thing it is a "preorder" and not a reservation.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Last year I reserved online.

24. rayward macrumors 68000

IIRC, Apple pre-authorised the charge for the iPad for reservations about a week ahead of launch day. If you reserved using a debit card, this meant that the cost of the iPad was deducted from the available funds in your checking account, even though the funds weren't actually withdrawn from your account. You then "paid" upon pick-up.

I imagine this it how it will work for the iPhone...unless the fact that this is a "pre-order" makes a subtle difference, and you pay for it in advance. Which would not surprise me at all. You had the option not to pick up your reserved iPad (at which point your funds were released back to your account), but that product was not as well established as the iPhone. I'm guessing that Apple / AT&T know they can get away with charging us in advance, so that's exactly what they'll do.

25. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

So to those who have reserved online before, do they charge your credit card beforehand?