Apple Store Price Matching

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cfitz7111, Mar 16, 2010.

1. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

As many of you know, MicroCenter, is running a deal, I am not sure how they can do it to be honest with you, for the current MacBook for $999 with an instant $200 in store rebate, bringing the cost to $799.

I went to the Apple Store in Atlantic City, NJ last week and even though I brought up the web page, the manager said he wouldn't match the price. The closest MicroCenter store was about 60 miles away. He said to try the 800 sales number.

I happen to be in Philly today, and was all set to go to the MicroCenter store to pick one up, when I decided to try the Apple Store in King of Prussia. As usual the store was crazy, and the manager told me someone would be with me a few minutes, so I asked her about price matching, being overly nice and saying that I preferred to give Apple the money directly, and she agreed that she wanted the sale, and since the MicroCenter Store was only 5 miles down the road, she would match the price as long as I could produce the website.

After the long upsell on all the other products, the manager came over, overrode the price to $799, never even looked up the site, I am sure I am not the first one to ask, and I was out the door at $845 with tax.

Of course YMMV, but :apple: did right by me, as I type this on my new MacBook.

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I think you accidentally clicked on MR and not blogger

3. cfitz7111 thread starter macrumors 6502

I posted my story because there is a lot of conflicting stories on MR about Apple price matching with other retailers, I was just posting my experience, that may help others to get a great deal on a great machine.

4. Hyr macrumors member

Hyr

Not all Apple Stores price matching

I would assume its a case-by-case basis by inventory or store management.

I live in the Columbus, OH metro where we have both an Apple Store and a Microcenter about 15 min apart. I went to the Apple Store first (closer to my home) and they were unable to honor the Microcenter pricing. I was also extremely nice, patient and explained I would rather purchase from Apple but $200 off was too great a deal to pass on. The Apple Store guy agreed with me and admitted it was an awesome deal but their store wasn't able to price-match.

I ended up going to Microcenter the next day.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Rarely have I seen Apple price match individual sales on one item. Usually with large sales. Someone came and wanted to buy 100 iPod's for their business and Best Buy offered them a price. Apple matched the price Best Buy offered.

I think Apple declined your offer because of the rebate. If it was just a deal where Microcenter decided to give you 100 (non-rebate deal), Apple might match the price.

6. Hyr macrumors member

Hyr

The offer is an instant "rebate". Previous months I believe it was in the form of a $200 visa gift card (?) but currently, as of Feb, the price is now just $799. No forms, no rebate, that's just the price. Slap on the taxes and you're out the door for about $850.