Apple Store Question: What to do after replacement Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Samarium, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I'll definitely will go to the Apple Store on July(Don't live in US) and try to get my MacBook replaced. I bought it at December, and I already send it to repair by keyboard cracking, its cracking again and it has "Stress Cracks"(see http://www.appledefects.com/?p=265)everywhere. The most noticeable starts from where you put your finger to open it, until the curve before the first screw on where the ports are. I have not seen this type of cracks on 1-1 1/2 yr. old MacBooks. Well, my question is if I get a replacement, how can I pass everything from my old MacBook into my new one. Time Machine? Does Time Machine includes apps? If not, what does includes?

2. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

Maybe you can ask the apple store to move the hard drive over?

3. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Can they do that? What happens if I get a MacBook with different specifications, it will still work?

4. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure but i believe it should work.

If it's an applecare replacement they will probably get very similar specs for you. minor differences in amount of RAM and processor speed are not going to affect stuff like that.

Maybe someone with better knowledge can say for sure.

5. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Unless they are changing out the whole harddrive your applications will not transfer over, they will need reinstalled (unless mac is different then windows in that aspect but I doubt it). What you should do to make the process go smoothly is everything that you like/want/treasure put in a big fat folder on the desktop (like your pics and songs and such), that way the tech wont miss anything by accident (and accidents do happen!).

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They usually should be able to.

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

They should do a COMPLETE data transfer for you.

My parents bought a new 24" iMac in October that was plauged by the iMac freezing issue.

They went through 2 machines, and each time the apple store copied the data for them, apps and everything.

9. jeffmc macrumors 6502

if you're getting it replaced under warranty you won't get one with different specs