Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
If I go to an Apple Store and the model MacBook I want isn't in stock, can I pay them cash for it and have them order it? Or do I have to go through a credit card?

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
If I go to an Apple Store and the model MacBook I want isn't in stock, can I pay them cash for it and have them order it? Or do I have to go through a credit card?

Don't Apple Stores accept credit/debit card only for iPhones and Laptops?

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
Don't Apple Stores accept credit/debit card only for iPhones and Laptops?

I bought an iPad with cash a few months ago. The guy accepted it just like any other form of payment...

Don't know where you heard this from but it's definitely not true.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
I bought an iPad with cash a few months ago. The guy accepted it just like any other form of payment...

Don't know where you heard this from but it's definitely not true.

They did this with iPads and iPhones to try to impose buying limits. People would give others cash to go purchase these so they could get more than what the limit allowed.

Haven't heard of that for the laptops/desktops tho

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
They did this with iPads and iPhones to try to impose buying limits. People would give others cash to go purchase these so they could get more than what the limit allowed.

Haven't heard of that for the laptops/desktops tho

I thought they already had a limit of 2 per customer if the supply was low and demand high.

Besides, I don't see how this would stop people with a credit card, as you could just deposit the cash and then buy it.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
I thought they already had a limit of 2 per customer if the supply was low and demand high.

Besides, I don't see how this would stop people with a credit card, as you could just deposit the cash and then buy it.

The system would flag the customer's name / account number so they would only be able to use a certain card a certain number of purchases. The people would take cash, give it to people and offer them $20 or something to go buy an ipad or iphone with the cash. They did this with many people and would mass stock a huge number of ipads/iphones to sell in other countries or online or what have you.

I had never seen an issue with the laptops tho, usually apple has the stock for the demand, but apparently at least with the new retina 15" they may have underestimated a bit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.