Apple store RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lego8, Apr 7, 2008.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Hi,

If I take my computer into an Apple Store to upgrade the RAM on my MBP from 2 GB to 3 or 4 GB will they do it? If so, how much will it cost?
    At the same time, I want to replace my current machine with a new one b/c of a screen issue. Do you think this purchase will help convince them to give me a new one? If they give me a new one, do I need to show them my AppleCare or something? Will the new one come out of a new box as well? Should I bring my original box?

Thanks in advance

2. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

if there is something wrong with your screen, and you are still under warranty, then take it to apple and have them fix it. just buy ram from a 3rd party and install it yourself. its very easy and going to be much cheaper than apple, and i don't think apple will put more ram in your computer anyways.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No buying more from them does not incline them to give you a new machine. Giving a new machine is authorized by the manager who will probably see through what you are trying to do.

And it's not worth getting their RAM. If your machine is within 14-days they will exchange it not matter what, so bring your box; otherwise, you will end up getting a repair rather than a replacement.

5. iFizz macrumors regular

Don't be foolish with your money. Apple literally double-charges on RAM. Get if from a 3rd-party online somewhere (i.e. macsales or crucial).

6. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

7. comptr macrumors 65816

No

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No, neither does installing it yourself. Just make sure it matches the stuff in your computer. I think I got some non-ecc memory from Kingston that didn't compat with my installed memory. But considering the Kingston stick was $40 for 2GB, I think I did OK.

Anywho, installing RAM in a MBP is simple. Apple even has the instructions on their Web site. So no, your warranty isn't voided. I think you can even replace the HDD without voiding it.

9. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

What kind / brand of RAM is it that I should buy and install?

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

400 compared to ~80 (for 4gb) is a bit more than double

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if you buy on newegg, g.skill RAM also works well with Macbook (Pro)s. I have G.Skill 4GB CL 4..15 dollars more expensive than CL5, but for gaming it works better...and its only 15 more. :)

ditto on installing it yourself. Very easy.

13. iFizz macrumors regular

nitpicker. :p

14. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

What kind of tools will I need? What size screwdriver?

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you want the tools, go to www.radtech.us and they have a kit that has the screw drivers for the Macbook Pro screws and hinges, and a tools to take the case apart should you want to void your warranty in the future.

The screw driver there is the one you will need, and the kit costs $20 I think.

p.s. I went to Best Buy the other day looking for RAM thinking it would be a little more than Crucial or OWC, turns out they were charging the same amount as Apple.... around $200 for a 2GB chip. Going online.

p.p.s. Just checked Apple online, it's $300 for a 2GB chip.

16. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded my RAM yesterday and I bought a jeweler's screwdriver set because I didn't know which specific size to buy. The 1.8m/m works pretty well.

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

For just RAM a phillips #00 if you ever feel the need to replace your HD a Torx #6 also

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

There is no 'best' for macs... as long as it is PC5300 (667) then it will work. Some memory may be claimed to be 'Mac Tested' but that is all. Same RAM that would go in a Santa Rosa Dell, Toshiba, Sony etc, etc etc.
    Sucker born every minute. The timing of the RAM is set by your COMPUTER so your CL4 RAM rating is pretty useless and runs no faster than CL5.