Apple Store Reburb MBP 2.4 GHz 17''

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Budster, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Budster macrumors newbie

Hello everyone...

I got a question that hopefully you can answer. I noticed in the Apple Store that in their Refurb section they now have listed 2.4 GHz 17'' MacBook Pros. I looked that the specs for the reburb and from what I can tell, they appear the same as a new 17'' 2.4 GHz MBP.

So, is it safe to assume that these refurb 2.4 GHz MBP's have the Santa Rosa chip?

I put a new one and a refurb one in the same Store cart and the only difference (other than the price) that I could tell is that the Part Number is different by the first letter. (A new one has an 'M' in front and a refurb has a 'F'.)

After dealing with Windows and having an iPhone for about a month now, I've decided to 'switch' from the Dark Side.

So, I just want to make sure that if I do get a refurb, I'm getting the latest MBP. Or at least until the next update comes out.

Thanks for the help!!

2. jamesybsu macrumors regular

yeah those look like the SR MBP refurbs. A good way to tell is looking at the video card - the 8600 256mb was a new addition to the Santa Rosa chipset, I'm pretty sure.

3. klex macrumors regular

The 2.4 processor is the SR chip, so I'd say that it is fairly certain that these macs contain the SR chip.

4. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

5. Budster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input...

Other than looking at the video card, I was trying to compare the SuperDrive speed, the memory speed and a couple other specs and they look the same as a new MBP. (Or at least that's how I see.)

I did chat with two different Apple Store reps. One said that none of their Refurb Macs had the SR chip. (I think they were think of the actual Macs rather than the laptops, which I was talking about.) The other seemed to think these did have the SR chipset.

If anyone else has any input on whether the refurb 2.4 GHz 17'' MBP's have the Santa Rosa chipset, it would be appreciated.

What are the chances that the refurbs come with the new wall adapter?

Thanks again.

6. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Hi Budster,

The 2.4 GHz chip only came out with the Santa Rosa Platform update recently. Any doubt as to whether or not the 2.4 refurbs are Santa Rosa would be because they've only been out for about three weeks and people could be surprised to see them on sale so early.

I strongly doubt that the refurbs will come with the new adapter. Don't let that put you off. The new adapter does the same job as the old one but is slightly easier to cart around. I'm going to get a new one for daily travel and leave the big fugly one plugged in at home.

7. macjay macrumors 6502

Yes, 100% guaranteed. 2.2ghz MBP and 2.4ghz MBP = SR.

The Apple Store rep either didn't understand the question or didn't know what they were talking about.

8. MacAddiction macrumors member

Similar

I just chatted with another rep. about the 2.4Ghz 15-inch Refurb and she also confirmed that it is NOT Santa Rosa. Lots of confusion.

Good luck.

9. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

They sometimes suck, in fact they often suck, just ignore them, listen to us and everything will be apples!

10. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

This is crazy. The only 2.4GHz MBP that Apple has sold has been the one with the SR platform. My guess is that the Apple rep's are not up on their technology!

2.1.6 & 2.33 = napa platform
    2.2 & 2.4 = santa rosa platform

11. Budster thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, thanks for everyone's input...

I'll put a question to those willing to answer it... If you were looking at the specs for a new MBP 2.4 GHz 17'' vs. a refurb one, what would you gut reaction be as to whether the refurb has the new chipset?

Before yesterday, I was looking on eBay thinking that this was the only avenue (in terms of lowest price) to get a new MBP with the SR chipset. But now with this on the Apple Store website, I'm starting to lean towards Apple.

Again, I would prefer getting the latest and greatest since my wife has pretty much given me the OK (for the guys out there, you pretty much know don't ask twice since she may change her mind!!) and based on what I've read on these forums (which DO rock by the way) that the SR chipset is preferred if one was in my situtation.

To rijiMacDij, ya the power adapter thing isn't going to be a factor in getting one or not - it's just knowing that the chipset is a Santa Rosa one.

Thanks everyone...

12. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Apple reps don't know anything about SR. The 2.4ghz are Merom with 800mhz bus. They are also the only notebooks that have the 8600M GT. You should not hesitate to buy. Unless Apple sends you the wrong thing, you will be getting SR.

13. jamesybsu macrumors regular

I checked the REFURBS on apples site and the 2.4's HAVE to be SR MBP's. Get one from that site, they come with 1 year warranty's and you will not be disapointed with them! Like a couple previous post's, the SR chipset is the only one Apple has released with a 2.4 Ghz power. If you want re-assurance from a Apple employee - call and tell them this, and if they are unsure, tell them you want to speak to someone who would know. But trust us, if it is 2.4 Ghz, its the SR chipset.

14. Budster thread starter macrumors newbie

In case anybody cares...

After talking to a third different Apple Expert (Stephen), he confirmed that the 2.4 GHz 17'' MBP do have the Santa Rosa chipset. (I guess 3rd times a charm.)

So, if everything goes well tonight, I'll be able to order a refurb'd 2.4 GHz 17'' MBP and then the wait begins...

In case anyone is wondering where the refurbs come from (or atleast the MBP's) here is his reply:

"The refurb units are based here in California and in Service Center locations. I don't have a breakdown as to where each model is located."

15. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

My boss ordered me one of these yesterday.

Just an FYI - it says on the spec page - 3 to 5 days estimated shipping.

However once you place your order it states it will ship before September 12th on the order status page. I hope thats not the case, I was hoping to have it in my hands next week... if not earlier (Im in CA).