Apple Store Refurb Macbook Pro - Drop/Spill protection? Anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deadoctopi, Oct 23, 2015.

1. deadoctopi macrumors newbie

deadoctopi

Good afternoon all,
    Love the new 13" rMBP I picked up from Apple's refurbished bins online. It's almost silly how new this thing looks. Works like a charm. Had the apple store run their deeper diagnostics on the fans and heat-dispersing elements, etc etc. Clean bill of health.

I have a case on the thing and try to hold to a usage pattern of "Oh my god, leave that drink in the other room you fool" when it comes to using this around the house.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Drop and Spill type warranty coverage on a refurb. I can't get a straight answer from the ESL phone support for Square Trade, even though the price looks OK, and the whole "we reimburse you for your Genius Bar appt/repair costs" sounds like a good get.

I have not yet called my home owners insurance, though I probably should. Would it be apt to not necessarily disclose to the insurance co, that it's a refurb? Probably should, the words "insurance fraud" don't sound fun.

I'm looking to keep this guy running for the next handful of years, and it would be nice to have a little more peace of mind about shuffling it around the house with my first son on the way. Maybe he won't ever spit up on or draw on or drop or spill on this, or maybe I will and he will and mom will and the cats will somehow pee on it. Who knows.

I'd rather not find out and be out a huge repair bill. Unless spill/water damage is under the $400 mark generally....

any advice, I'm all ears, thanks folks!
    -Blake

2. kingdLo macrumors 6502

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Doesn't Applecare(The one you buy) cover this type of damage? Maybe you just pay a deductible???

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You are wrong, Applecare does not cover liquid damage.

4. deadoctopi thread starter macrumors newbie

deadoctopi

It reads that unless the part is a failed piece of hardware (and some limited software support it sounds like) then I'm hosed for anything outside damaging the macbook, and even in cases of normal use, wear and tear, they don't cover anything like that, including preventative maintenance.

Sounds a bit too simple for the cost.

5. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

You're thinking of applecare+ which is available on the iPhone & iPad and does have accidental coverage with a incident fee.

6. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

You might want to look into getting something like a squaretrade plan or something like that to cover accidental damage if you are somewhat rough on your electronics. I've never used them but heard good things about them.