Apple store refuses to replace battery?

akad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Today, i took in my 2010 macbook pro to an apple store via appt, to get the battery replaced. BTW im willing to pay the 130 or whatever it costs. However, the genius refused to replace the battery without fixing a small dent that is on the back corner of the display...

FIRST, is that normal? Do i really have to fix a cosmetic thing to get my battery replaced?

Second, what is the LOGIC behind that?

Appreciate your responses.. maybe i should try another apple store, if its not somewhere in the policy... I dont know, it just sounds ridiculous to me.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
First, yes that seems odd to me.
Second, stay calm and remain polite.
Third, ask to talk a manager or supervisor (politely). Ask why they insist on fixing a cosmetic issue before working on the battery.
Fourth, are you still under apple care?

SellYourMacBook

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
if Apple refuses to help, do a quick search on eBay and get a oem apple battery for less than half the price.

search "a1278 oem battery"

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Sounds odd. Tell the guy "hey, am going to sign a waiver that it's an existing dent so Apple is not responsible."

Unless, the dent is in such a place when they open it, it's going make it worse or it's gonna end up damaging something in the process, reason being.

akad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
not under apple care. plus the dent is on the display bezel, removing the rear panel will not affect it.

blkmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
They're trying to pull one over on you. Honestly, just ask to speak to a manager and go from there. That's ridiculous, especially if you don't mind paying.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Are they charging you extra to fix the dent?

Maybe they just want to fix two problems at once, or maybe it's a recall.

akad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Are they charging you extra to fix the dent?

Maybe they just want to fix two problems at once, or maybe it's a recall.
yep, the guy was like: "yeah, we need to replace both the top and bottom casing, and man that is going to be expensive.. you should probably take it to an authorized apple dealer"

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Sounds notoriously shifty to me. Tell them they are obligated to fix the battery regardless of the dent.