Apple Store Repair - DFU Mode

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by nanogirl21, Jul 11, 2013.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

This morning around 5am my phone turned off and it will not come back on. I am on IOS 7 Beta 2. I am assuming my phone is in DFU mode, but it will not come back on when I go through the DFU fix procedure. When I plug the phone into the laptop iTunes doesn't even recognize it. If I take my phone to the apple store, will they fix it? I have been trying all day to get my phone back on.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

You're doing the DFU steps with the phone attached to the computer, right?

I ask because of the way you phrased your question and that some people confuse DFU mode with recovery mode.

http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode

I'm unsure what the Apple store will do, but if it is truly completely bricked and utterly non-responsive I'm unsure how they'd have any idea what iOS version you had on there...

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If I am not mistaken, it is against Apple Store policy to deal with iOS 7 problems.

In my opinion, your best bet is to keep trying to get into DFU mode. If you are using a Mac, maybe try a Windows computer, as that can be a little easier to ascertain (at times) DFU mode.

4. iShorty macrumors regular

iShorty

Try a force reset but hold it until the Apple logo appears (60 seconds?) instead of holding it for the usual 10 or so seconds. Worked for me yesterday.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take it in, Most geniuses are pretty decent they'll probably help you out.

6. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Take it in and let them render a decision. Don't take anything that people say about what they will or will not do at the store as Fact. Personally I have had hardware issues with past beta's on them and they replaced per warrantee.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If it's truly in DFU mode then all traces of iOS7 are likely gone anyway.
    I wouldn't worry about taking it in.

8. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

If I were you I wouldn't mention iOS 7.

I went in for dust under my screen and they wouldn't even touch my phone.

Best of luck OP.

9. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Hold power and home till the phone turns on, no need for taking it to the apple store

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Restart your computer (no joke) and then try DFU mode again. It is possible the computer will then recognize your iPhone.

11. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I have been trying the home and power button all day -- still no luck all black screen -- I am on windows

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When you connect it to the computer, do you hear a USB connect beep sound?

If you do, then hold both power and home together until you hear the USB disconnect beep.

Then let go of power but continue holding home until you hear the connect beep again.

At this point Windows should detect unknown USB device and will usually download drivers for it. And iTunes will report detecting a device in recovery mode.

If you don't hear the connect sound, I don't know what to tell you. Take it into Apple nd don't mention iOS 7. :p

13. wmpowell macrumors newbie

Patience

The same thing happened to me with Beta 1. But my lock button is broken, so I don't know if a hard restart would have worked. But my phone was totally unresponsive, and wouldn't show on the computer. I made an Apple store apointment for the next day. The next morning I plugged it into the wall for one last chance, and it turned on! (Showing the battery drained, plug into wall icons). So i'd recommend you leave your phone unplugged, and try tomorrrow to see if the battery drained, and it'll turn back on.

14. josiahsill macrumors member

josiahsill

try TinyUmbrella

my phone got stuck in RECOVERY mode on beta 2 and I was unable to put into to DFU. Tiny Umbrella has an option to kick your phone out of recovery. it worked for me on the first try.

Good Luck

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

16. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

17. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes, this is the program I use to put my iPhone into DFU mode for me to downgrade back to iOS 6

18. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

just tried it and it said it was kicking my phone out of recovery mode but nothing after that happen --- my screen didn't even light up...

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Could it be out of battery power at this point as well? Might be worth having it plugged in for a while before trying anything else again--if that hasn't been done already.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Your screen doesn't light up when it's in DFU mode. All that should happen is your computer should detect an unknown USB device, and iTunes reports a device in recovery mode. Your screen should stay blank.

21. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Just an update - I took my phone to the apple store and after the genius held down the home and power button and the phone did nothing he replaced it I don't have apple care but he said it was a "customer loyalty" replacement (whatever that means) I now back in action with a new phone thanks to all those who gave helped me!

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It meant he was showing kindness to you, in hope that great customer service will keep you in the Apple family. :) Glad it worked out for you like it did.