Apple Store Repair + iTunes Deauthorization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Alterscape, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Alterscape macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro was serviced last week for the nVidia 8600GT graphics card failure. A new logic board was installed, but my drive was not formatted. When I got my machine back and attempted to synch my gen2 iPod touch, an error message appeared telling me that my machine was no longer authorized, and I needed to authorize it through iTunes. When I did so, I was informed that I currently have three machines authorized of five total -- I only own two macs. I suspect that the old logic board was not de-authorized, and still counts towards my total. Since that logic board is toast, is there any way to convince Apple to de-authorize it posthumously? I understand that they don't generally do this, to prevent people from sharing their protected content too freely...

2. JeffMonty macrumors member

From Apple's Support Site (http://www.apple.com/support/ilife/tutorials/itunes/it3-5.html)

Deauthorizing all computers
    If you’ve reached your limit of five authorized computers and you no longer have access to a computer, you can deauthorize all computers, and then reauthorize the ones you still have access to. To deauthorize all computers, sign in to the iTunes Store using your account. Click View Account, and then click Deauthorize All. You can only deauthorize all your computers this way once per year, so use this feature with care.

Just go through those steps, then authorize your computer again

I've done this before and it worked out fine, with no issues.

3. Alterscape thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the instructions! It's greatly appreciated.