Apple Store repair question... broken upon return from repair

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrXiro, Apr 5, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Hey all,

I'm not sure what section to put this in so I apologize in advanced if this is in the wrong section.

I just got my MBP yesterday for a repair of the 9400m flicker issue. So far it works fine but now I noticed that the Superdrive is acting up. It can't seem to take data discs... it seems to read single layer DVD movies just fine... but it spits out CD-RW and my system restore disc.

I don't have applecare on my laptop and paid $310 to fix the 9400m issue... will they charge me again to fix the failed Superdrive?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

They shouldn't. There is a 90-day period after the repair where they will cover repairs for free.

3. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Really? That's great! Thanks! I'll have to book another genius bar appointment.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Whoops, double post.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Surely even Apple didn't offer a warranty it would be free anyway?! I know the US has weak consumer laws but this must surely be an open and shut case- you paid apple to fix something and then something else broke within 24 hours- bit of a big coincidence?

6. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Well the uMBP of 2008 are known to have faulty disc drives... and I barely ever use mine... so it's quite possible that it was broken before I brought it in for them to fix the 9400m issue. Their diagnosis doesn't check if the drive works properly, they hardwire (in the ethernet port) a diagnostic check of the system's hardware and it just runs a scan to see if everything is "on/working" not if the drive itself actually "works". Which you can only tell if it is by putting a disc in, my best guess is a faulty laser on the thing.

Read a few people with this problem on these forums in the last week.

Hope they replace the drive for free for me. :)

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well if it is a known fault that happened 24 hours after Apple handed back your MBP I'd refuse to pay for a new superdrive.