Apple store repair stripped screw threads . What to do now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Sep 15, 2013.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I have a 17 inch early 2011 MacBook Pro. I just took it in to get the hd replaced . I got home and took it out of the sleeve and a screw fell out of the bottom. I placed it back in the hole and it fell all the way in and when turned back the right way up it falls out . I.e the screw threads have been stripped .

I am going to call them but I'm not sure what to ask for . I think to fix the threads means a complete change of body which seems a bit extreme and inconvenient . However I would like some sort of compensation .

Any recommendations of how to procede ?

2. iFanboy Guest

Take it back to them and show them the problem? It's up to them to fix it if they caused it.

BTW, it's not for you to tell them how to fix it either. However they fix it is up to them as long as they actually fix it.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

It might be possible to tap the hole and use a bigger screw. But like the other guy said, it's their problem let them fix it.

4. snapper64 macrumors regular

I certainly wouldn't accept that as a solution on a premium laptop like the Pro. They should replace the unibody.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Me neither, but just a suggestion. They might do this at the store anyway, but more likely they will super glue it back in.

6. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'd be calling Apple to officially complain. Who knows, you might end up with a new machine. It's worth a try.

7. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was kind of hoping for just a voucher of something for 10% off a new one when I buy my next one.

8. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just called they are going to replace the unibody :)

Seems they are not worried about the cost . If its damaged they repair it to be like new.

Also they will do it same day :)

9. Rhendera macrumors newbie

Nice! That's good news, grats.