Apple store replacement iphone? help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ak47gunner, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Ak47gunner macrumors newbie

Guess what my iphone 3G has, dust under the screen in several places, 2 air bubbles, and a forzen pixel! you think apple will replace this. I still have it under the 1 year warranty but am way past the return time. do you think theyll replace it? it does have a small scratch on the screen

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've heard that if you return it within the year warranty they'll just hand you a new phone.

3. Ak47gunner thread starter macrumors newbie

really a brand new one not a replacement one? cause i just want this fixed

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, it is a brand new one. Not used. Of course, I'm only telling you what I've heard and from talking to the rep when I bought the phone, so don't come shoot me if they don't give you one or if it a refurb. I haven't had to return mine.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

see the above post

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The phone you receive as a replacement will come in a white box. They do this to cut costs on materials as they don't need the extra space that is normally used by headphones, sync cable and wall adapter (since you already have those at home).

Whether the phones that come in those boxes are new and specially packaged for exchanges or if they're refurbs hasn't been solidly established. To this day I still don't understand why people have a problem with getting refurbs...

7. Ak47gunner thread starter macrumors newbie

ok what if its jailbroken, and unlocked for tmobile. SHould i just restore it and then take it in without a sim or borrow a firends sim and put it in. WIll they check the sim? will they care if there is none?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think you know the answer to that question....lol

9. Ak47gunner thread starter macrumors newbie

lol ok so restore then use a friends sim? do they check the account on it or not?

10. entity macrumors regular

No, they don't check the AT&T account. They only verify by serial for warranty coverage. But I've heard that you need active AT&T service in order to make a warranty claim so be sure to have your friends SIM in.

Also, when I had my 2G replaced at the Apple store (white box rplc), the Genius said it was a refurb. Hope that helps.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

A little early for "refurbished" 3GS iPhones, don't you think? It'll be a new one since the release was last week......:eek::eek::eek:

12. entity macrumors regular

You are right!

But he has a 3G :D.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68030

I just exchanged my 3G last week. The refurb looks brand new!

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Thanks, I'm suffering from jet lag, about 3 hours difference.....:eek::eek::eek:

15. cygy2k macrumors member

I'm on my 3rd 3G S and each time they've assured me that the refurbs would obviously be brand new since there haven't been enough returned & repaired to put into the refurb stock. Obvious, but still just passing it along.