Apple store replacement procedure advice

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by studio81, Jan 6, 2010.

1. studio81 macrumors member

Hi there,

Hoping someone can give me some advice!

I bought a brand new iPhone 3GS before christmas. It seemed to have problems with randomly losing signal and restarting, so I brought it into the Apple store. They were going to replace it there and then but didn't have stock, so they gave me a genius work authorization letter and would call me when they have stock.

So of course, I got home and dropped it on the floor and now the backlight doesn't work anymore and it seems to think I've plugged headphones in when I haven't. From what I can tell, the phone still works otherwise.

I got the call to go pick up the replacement. Do you know if they will just straight out swap it, or will they check it again? Should I tell them or just see what happens? I do feel kind of bad but I don't think I'm cheating Apple as it was going to get replaced anyway. I'm not sure what approach to take.

Any advice would be great thanks :)

2. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

I would go with the old adage that Honesty is the Best Policy if asked. However, if they would have had it in stock at the original time you had planned to swap it out then it's fate would have been altered. Is there considerable physical cosmetic damage to the phone due to the drop? If not, I would really worry about it unless asked but then mention that had you (Apple) had the necessary stock there wouldn't have been a issue.

3. studio81 thread starter macrumors member

No physical damage at all paratel. Unless someone actually takes it from me and tries to use it for a few seconds they wouldn't even notice.

I considered maybe letting the battery die and just use that as a reason for it not switching on as no one would be any the wiser as you would only know if it was on.

I would like to think being honest is the right thing to do but I'm not sure!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Play dumb, bring it in and get the replacement.
    Dont say much.

5. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

I wouldn't think that they would check it again since they already did that previously. Letting the battery die might not be a bad idea. Let's try not to drop the new one though...

6. studio81 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I think I'll just try it and see what happens

7. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

i am on my second replacement and in my opinion (in glasgow!) those guys at the genius bar were more interested in dealing with the people that have problems with the imac(s) than the iphones/ipods!!

like applejuice has mentioned play dumb and go with the flow :)

good luck and let us know how you get on!!