Apple Store "Reserve and collect" ... "Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ReflexReact, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

So, I am based in UK and managed to "Reserve and collect" a 32gb iPhone 4g.

However, on my confirmation e-mail, at the bottom, it says:

Now, wouldn't you say that's pretty contradicting? The first sentance states I am not guarenteed an iPhone!

My dilema is it's going to take me 2+ hours and lots of expense to get to the store on the 24th, the last thing I want to do is turn up at lunch time (about when i'd finally arrive) to find out they've sold mine / sold out.

Anyone know whether or not I will 100% definately have an iPhone waiting for me?

2. dmx macrumors 6502

I think that just means that you are not guaranteed an iPhone IF there is any problem billing your credit card when you try to pick up the phone. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

3. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

They will keep your phone for you until the end of the 24th.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's just a disclaimer. Don't worry about it. If you get in line on the 24th, you'll have a phone.

5. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

There's also the fact that its only available for one day (the 24th), so if you don't pick up your phone then, you're out of luck.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Even if you get in line near store closing time? They don't give out more reservations than they have stock set aside for reserves?

7. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly what i'm wondering. I'm going to the biggest UK store (Regents street) but wont be there until 12/1pm..!

Then again, if they were to just hand out the reserved phones to people who arrived early, what would be the point in reserving :)

Good to hear you all think i'm likely to get it, providing i turn up ON the 24th!

8. spicyj macrumors member

If your reservation is like mine, it says the following, suggesting you can arrive at any time.

Please note that your reservation will be held until close of business on June 24.

9. aserafin macrumors member

Same thing I was thinking - I don't mind waiting in line... as long as I'm guaranteed a phone

10. JonD25 macrumors 6502

The part that says "iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis" is what scares me. I'm really hoping that's not the case and that mine will be reserved all day for me. I'm thinking of calling up my Apple store and making sure that's what is going to happen.

11. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Okay I don't want to sound like an ass. . . but think about it this way.

Let's pretend they only have 100 iPhone's in stock and you're 102 in line. . . it basically means "Even though you reserved one. . . doesn't mean you WILL definitely receive one"

So it's like a you've been warned but most likely they SHOULD have enough in stock.

Too bad they won't have my White model :rolleyes:

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

What it also means is that if the particular store you have your reserved phone sent to doesn't get its full allocation of phones, or if there are any that aren't functioning, broken etc, the people with reservations in line first will get first dibs on the phone stock in hand.

13. aserafin macrumors member

Someone better do an official press release on this topic - they touted the new app -all of its glory and ease- and there will be thousands of us royally pissed off if we were led to believe that we'd be getting a phone when we weren't any better off than the next guy in the walk-in's line...:confused::confused:

14. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Then what's the point of the reservation?

Reminds me of something... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uvttu8ct0

15. aserafin macrumors member

16. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

+10! EPIC.

I agree but that's what it means. It's just a warning I guess.

17. hippyharry macrumors regular

You have reserved the phone.

Pre-authorisation was explained above. If you turn up on the day and your credit card fails, or you dont have a good enough credit rating to get a contract, then your phone will be given away (but only after you've been in to the store)

Ive got mine reserved at Glasgow, and Ill be just turning up at lunchtime, walk right into the shop and say "hi, reserved my iphone with this apple ID" and they'll have my phone there.

If i dont turn up that day, then Apple will sell the phone on Friday 25th to a lucky customer.

All this talk of "if you are 102 in the line, then tough luck" is total BS. You have reserved the phone, its there if you wish to pick it up.

Simple

18. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Can anybody confirm this last year with the 3GS?

19. ReflexReact thread starter macrumors 6502

20. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Firstly, that Seinfield clip was too funny (& relevant!) :D

Now to the OP, don't worry your iPhone is reserved all day on the 24th, it shouldn't matter when you line up or arrive.
    That scary line in the email that says "....does not guarantee an iPhone" is just a disclaimer line, they put it in the email to cover their backs in case there is a screw up with a particular order -this means that if all else fails, they can say "sorry, we DID say that the reservation isn't a guarantee". It doesn't mean that there will be problems.

It is nothing to worry about, anyone who reserved and received an email should get their iPhone on launch day.... Including me -and believe me, I am the biggest worrier out there! :eek:
    (just ask anyone who remembers me from the iPad UK/EU thread, I had a heart attack when my order didn't go through!)

21. knuster macrumors regular

knuster

can you pay in apple store London (regent street) with cash or does it have to be a credit card?

22. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

if its any help to the OP I've also reserved one for Regent St and won't get to pick it up till 5pm after work.

I was thinking bout going there on my lunch break at 12pm but doubt I'll be able to pop in and out and get it within an hr.

I also called the Regent St shop and was toldthey would hold it for me till the shop closes at 9pm and it would make things quicker if i printed out and brought along the confirmation email.

He said the only thing I should be mindful of was the queues

23. sjw macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry!

I've reserved mine at Regent St. also and like everyone is saying, I think it's just to cover their behinds. And think about it, if they were planning on selling them willy-nilly on a first-come first-served basis, what would even be the point of installing a reservation system to begin with? Just to fool and pi$$ off hundreds of customers?

Slightly OT - has anyone been to Regent St for an iPhone launch before? Is it crazy ALL day? I was hoping to swing by at lunchtime (1pm) as well, hoping the lines have died down.. but the hype for iPhone 4 seems pretty big so maybe I'll be in for a shock.

24. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete