Apple Store return gone wrong?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by logicstudiouser, Jan 12, 2017.

1. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

I was puzzled by my return to the Apple Store today. I returned an iPad Mini within the 14 days. I initially paid with a $200 Apple gift card I received at Christmas and the $220 balance on my credit card. When she did the return, she credited the entire amount back on my credit card? She claimed the entire amount has to go on one payment method. It struck me as odd. I'm fine with it, obviously, but doesn't seem to benefit Apple much by doing it that way.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apple isn't the only one that does that. Many big box retailers will have to put it on the initial payment versus putting it back on a gift card.

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

If you split payment on two cards run as credit, the whole amount will be sent to the credit account that paid the highest portion. This is done for accounting reasons and also for tracking purposes.

I used to work in retail. If you pay with debit, they usually issue back cash unless the amount is higher than the preset payout allotment.

Edit: Each store may do it differently but most bigger retail stores follow this.

4. logicstudiouser thread starter macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

5. MyiBill macrumors 6502

I had a similar situation with a MacBook I purchased, they told me it would all go back to my credit card but then Apple emailed me a gift card for the portion paid with that

6. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

Does anyone know if Amazon does this? I would love to get a large chunk of gift card from a camera trade-in freed up to my credit card. That would be awesome.

7. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

That's unusual. Usually refunds should be returned onto the same method of payment(s) used for purchase. I guess technically it could all go back into one card, but it shouldn't :/

Sh either didn't know or care.

8. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Probably keeps their accounting easier that way as well...