Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hey all, just wanted to get some feedback about an Apple store return that I made yesterday.

I preordered 2 iPads as soon as I could after the keynote. One for me, and one for my wife. Both were WiFi versions. I've owned every iPad released, but only WiFi. As the release date drew closer I felt that I should give the 4G one a try.

On the release day, I had a few down minutes at work so I went to Best Buy and got an AT&T 4G iPad. The process took less than 10 minutes and they had quite a few in stock.

Yesterday I went to the Apple store to return the WiFi iPad that was still in the box and plastic. We never opened it because we didn't need to.

I waited 40 minutes for somebody to finally help me (put my name on the list buy they were busy!). The associate repeatedly questioned me as to why I was returning it and what was wrong with it. She asked me this 3 times. I explained nothing was wrong with it (it was still shrinkwrapped!) but that I didn't need it because I had upgraded to a 4G model.

I didn't have a receipt (Apple didn't even ship an invoice in the box with it), but told her that I could log onto my account and print an invoice if she needed it. She said she should be able to pull the purchase up with my credit card. I gave her the card, she swiped it, she asked for my first and last name and email address. She then asked if I wanted a receipt printed. I asked her if she could just email me one like the Apple store usually does. She said yes, and that the amount would be placed back on my credit card. I gave her the iPad and left.

Now, 24 hours later, I have no receipt from that transaction and my credit card shows no refund to the card. So essentially I have no proof that I ever returned anything, and the store has the iPad.

I'm going to go today after work and speak with them, but what do you guys think? I have the original invoice that has the S/N of the iPad--can they track it with that and show that it was entered into their store inventory?

She wasn't a great associate, and for all I know she took the iPad home with her and never processed my transaction (although it was at the end of the transaction that she asked if I wanted a printed receipt, so that means she must have done *something* or she wouldn't have asked).

Do you think they had to open the box and test the iPad before authorizing the refund, and maybe that is causing a delay? Maybe they think I put an old iPad in the box and then sealed it up again?

Thoughts?

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Call your credit company. They might be able to tell you if there's a pending credit.

BigB117

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
In my experience it takes 2-3 business days for credit/debit card refunds to show up in my account.

Also, the apple store where you returned should have given you an electronic receipt via email, or a printed one that shows the return and credit. Every time I've gone to the apple store they ask me which receipt I would like, and often they offer to give me both a paper one and one in an email.

oh, I see now that she offered you a receipt. Why didn't you take it?

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
In my experience it takes 2-3 business days for credit/debit card refunds to show up in my account.

Also, the apple store where you returned should have given you an electronic receipt via email, or a printed one that shows the return and credit. Every time I've gone to the apple store they ask me which receipt I would like, and often they offer to give me both a paper one and one in an email.

This. Give it time

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I'm going to patent a mechanism for asking internet buyers "are you sure" 10 times before allowing them to purchase an apple product. Between the scalpers and the people "clicking first and thinking later", seems like a big chunk of those 3 million iPads sold over the weekend boomeranged back to Apple!

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Ditto on a refund taking a few days to process.

I bought the iPad at the Apple store a few days ago and though I turned down the printed receipt, I didn't leave until the email showed up on my phone. If it hadn't I was going to ask him to print me one. I think it's great they've gone so paperless!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I just returned my wifi only model and replaced it with a VZW 4G model. I believe I had to sign something for the return. Although I am not 100% positive.

For a return that involves no exchange, and a credit going back to my CC, I think I would have taken a printed receipt just to be sure I have something for proof. But with that being said, I always havfe my purchase receipts emailed and never had an issue. You might have to make a trip back to the store (as you are doing) to get it worked out, but I don't think you will have any prioblems. Especially if she scanned the iPad in her device to process the return. I wouldnt worry too much.

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
I also bought a LTE ipad and a WiFi version. I returned the WiFi version on Monday and the credit appeared today.

But, just in case, I was smart enough to get a printed receipt as well. I cant understand why you would not.

ETA. I did not have to sign anything. The ipad was still in the fedex box and the Apple guy opened it up with so much excitement as if it was his own unboxing. lol. He literally, goes. "Yeah, Awesome"! Kind of creepy.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Ditto on a refund taking a few days to process.

I bought the iPad at the Apple store a few days ago and though I turned down the printed receipt, I didn't leave until the email showed up on my phone. If it hadn't I was going to ask him to print me one. I think it's great they've gone so paperless!

Same here. I hate paper and shop mostly online now so when a retailer offers emailed receipt I jump at it.

Brett.F

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Manhattan, NY
I actually returned a 16GB iPad (3rd Generation) yesterday. The apple store did not ask for a receipt nor did they ask for my credit card. The sales rep just scanned the two bar codes on the back of the iPad box and my information appeared on his scanner thing. I then gave him my email address and I received a receipt within a matter of minutes. They simply refunded my purchase to the original form of payment. I hope this helps.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
From my experience with Apple and multiple credit card companies it takes 3-5 business days, possibly up to 7 for the refund to appear. Nothing happens in 24 hours.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
there is proof that you did return some thing to them yesterday (they have cameras all over) don't worry about it ..

call and ask them to re-send you receipt (only some managers knows how to email receipts so look a manager who can )..

or you can walk in the store look for a manager and ask him to print receipt for you , as you never received it in email ..you are fine ... serial number is good enough for you to hold on to ..there system knows it was returned yesterday... credit on your credit card wont show up for 2-3 days.. thats how apple process credit.
what do you see online when you login to you account and click of RETURN ITEMS and selecte the returned ipad ?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
She then asked if I wanted a receipt printed. I asked her if she could just email me one like the Apple store usually does. She said yes, and that the amount would be placed back on my credit card. I gave her the iPad and left.

You are WAY more trusting than I am. No way in heck would I have left the premises without written proof that I'd given them the ipad, including serial number of that ipad.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks for the thoughts, all. I've always had them email me a receipt, never had any problems.

My first Apple that I bought with my own money was in 1995, a Performa 575. Such a sweet computer for the time--so I've spent lots of money with Apple over almost a 20 year period.

I'll give them a call and see what they can tell me. Maybe it's as simple as her entering my email address incorrectly, which would explain why I didn't receive a receipt.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Just called the store (they just opened), they found the return by tracking my web order number. Receipt was mailed to a wrong email address (associate didn't follow proper protocol the manager said, or else the email address would have populated with the address I always use at the store).

All is well!

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
I also bought a LTE ipad and a WiFi version. I returned the WiFi version on Monday and the credit appeared today.

But, just in case, I was smart enough to get a printed receipt as well. I cant understand why you would not.

ETA. I did not have to sign anything. The ipad was still in the fedex box and the Apple guy opened it up with so much excitement as if it was his own unboxing. lol. He literally, goes. "Yeah, Awesome"! Kind of creepy.

Is it worth the for the 4g over wifi only

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Just called the store (they just opened), they found the return by tracking my web order number. Receipt was mailed to a wrong email address (associate didn't follow proper protocol the manager said, or else the email address would have populated with the address I always use at the store).

All is well!
FWIW, I did the same type of return you did, and it immediately showed up when I went to store.apple.com and checked my history there.

It shows the return, and when I click on the "return details" link, it says it may take 3-5 days for the credit to appear. (Although with my AMEX, it showed up the next day).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-21 at 1.20.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-21 at 1.20.35 PM.png
    75 KB · Views: 96
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 97

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
I did the exact same thing. I pre-ordered a WIFI only, but decided to get a 4G model on release day. Bought the 4G model, and returned the WIFI model yesterday. Similar to your situation, the staff said the receipt will be emailed to me, which I was fine with, and I didn't have to sign anything. As soon as I walked out the door, I realized I should have gotten a hard copy of the return. Immediately I checked my email on my phone, and I did see the receipt for the return in my inbox. Otherwise, I would have walked right back in and ask for the hard copy for the receipt.

But like what others mentioned, give it a few days. The credit has not shown up on my cc either.

And like aristobrat mentioned, check your order online. Mine shows the iPad was returned as well.

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
Is it worth the for the 4g over wifi only

Undecided. The speed is ridiculous, that is a fact. My office and house have horrible 3G signals and my iPad pulls 15mb/s easy. That being said, I have wifi at home and dont use my ipad much at work, but I occasionally have to browse something on my phone and its tough.

I bought it as a just in case type thing, but my iphone is JB and I can tether pretty decently normally. I actually am not sure whether or not I should keep it or get the $130 back with a WiFi. This is $800 mind you and thats what I keep thinking about. lol.

Sorry for sidetrack.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Off topic, but do you have to have the purchasing credit card to make a return at the apple store and have it refunded to your credit card? Or can you show them your receipt and they can refund it to your credit card by looking it up in the computer?

eq2675

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Had an issue with getting an emailed receipt for a Black MacBook in 2009. My email address was off by one character. I'll never do the "email receipt" thing again for a purchase. I love Apple, but I want a hard copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.