Apple store said final warranty exchange for a manufacturing defect??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by parkp81, Mar 25, 2011.

1. parkp81 macrumors member

:mad::mad:

I purchased a first gen iPad yesterday and to my surprise there was a large speck of dust smack dab in the middle of the screen. So today I decided to set up an appointment and go in and get it exchanged. They exchanged it no problem and identified it was a problem.

I get home, with the new exchanged iPad and wow sprinkled dust under the screen on the top right, very apparent when using the iPad outside. So I decide to setup an appointment and go back again.

Now I am at the store and the Apple employee takes a look at it and does see the dust but says its minor. I said outside it is very bad. He said he will go check the stock for replacement and came out with this line (in bold, below) and put it in the service confirmation:

Issue Verified: Yes
    Known Liquid Damage: No

Issue: Dust particles upper right of display. Second time swapping for same issue on different iPad. Let Cx know this is the last time will swap for repeat issue.
    Steps To Reproduce: Verified at bar
    Proposed Resolution: Swap
    Cosmetic Condition: New

Here is the first service confirmation:

Issue Verified: Yes
    Known Liquid Damage: No

Issue: There is duest under the display glass.
    Steps To Reproduce: Verified by a visual inspection.
    Proposed Resolution: Swap iPad
    Cosmetic Condition: Like new.​

I told him that I am very dissapointed in how this is even possible that this is my last exchange for this issue. I said this is not my fault and a manufacturing issue. He said he cannot keep exchanging iPads to find one that does not have an issue with dust. I understand if it is very minor, but my issues were very apparent and bothersome to even use the iPad.

My question is can they even do this!?

What if I get dust problems later down the road, within my 1 year warranty, this leaves me with a useless warranty?

Can corporate do something?​

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It's the last time they'll replace it for that issue, not in general.

3. parkp81 thread starter macrumors member

:mad:This is such bs (not directed to you, Goldinboy17). I guess I am screwed if my iPad gets dust (other than minor dust) under the screen somehow later down the road. This is what pisses me off to no end.

4. triplecore1 macrumors member

I would recommend you tell them that you will not accept the replacement until you visually inspect it in the store with the tech present. No different then taking delivery of a car. I always make the sales men go through the delivery checklist with me and drag him along for 15min ride. Yes my sales man does hate me. Lol

5. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Doesn't surprise me at all. You see all of these people exchanging for any tiny hint of light bleed. This is the result of that. Apple will begin to limit the amount of exchanges just like any other LCD seller does whether it be Samsung, Sony, etc. They all do it, otherwise they'd be out of business as there is no 'perfect' panel. I'm surprised they haven't done it before now with the iPad 1 launch.

I realize you have a different issue, but its all tied together in terms of overall exchanges. Its kind of sad, as there will be people with legitimate issues that can't get an exchange due to all of the perfectionists out there thinking that all technology is perfect and they won't settle for less, despite the fact that it doesn't exist.

6. musicman0725 macrumors member

Yes, corporate can. You can contact AppleCare and report the location. They will transfer you to a customer care representative who will write up the location as well as create an issue # for you in case you have an issue in the future. This is what we did after we took my wife's MacBook Pro into the Apple Store and the MagSafe port had melted. The genius took the melted plastic out of the port, crumbled it in his hand, then tried to say it was a dust and that they don't cover cosmetic damage. Needless to say, corporate was not happy that we were blown off about a potentially dangerous issue. Basically, a customer should never leave a store dissatisfied on multiple occasions.

On another note, if you purchased AppleCare for your iPad you don't even have to deal with going into a store. If you have an issue they send a replacement with a return label and you send yours back after you get the replacement.​

7. Antfer macrumors member

Why don't you take it back and get your money. Then buy a new one.
    Now there are no tracks ?

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Remember, customers are ALWAYS right even when they are WRONG. Doesn't hurt to speak to their manager who will possibly gladly exchange it for you. If you can't get the manager to comprehend, then get their boss. If you get far enough up the ladder, someone will help you and all those that didn't take care of this problem will get their .02's right back at them. =)

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Thats weird? I had my iPhone 4 replaced 5 times because of an extreme yellow tint on the screen. I just showed the genius and each time (5 diff ones) were all "Whoa, that is yellow!" and replaced it on the spot.

Dont believe the silly piece of paper.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

Because they probably have no new ones to sell, but do have (new) replacement units.

11. MasonH macrumors member

---I think people just might be spoiled by their laptop screens. For example the screen on my year-old 15" Dell has NO hint of light leakage on any side of the screen... even when I crank it to ridiculous levels with a black pic. Maybe it's not "edge-lit"? None on my 24" monitor with my desktop either.
    I do have a bit on my 2 year old iPod Touch however... so indeed perhaps it's due to stuffing it in such a small form factor.
    I agree you probably won't find a perfect one for the iPad... just hopefully one you can live with.

12. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

agreed. apple has the best customer service... call in and they will gladly help you

13. jrichman63 macrumors regular

Seriously what is your problem? People have manufacturing defects with their devices. Do you pick the rotten fruit at the grocery store?

14. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

This would really upset me. I had my original iPad for almost 10 months before dust worked it's way into the center of the screen. It was readily replaced. I would hate for you to have dust appear several months from now and have no resolution available. However, at that time, if you spoke to a manager, i would bet they still swap it for you.

15. parkp81 thread starter macrumors member

I feel I did nothing wrong here, and being denied in the future in case that it does happen is just wrong. I guess I will see what corporate can do with my case or my account that this apple guy wrote in my service.

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

You haven't done anything wrong, the Apple store has. I bet corporate will make it good. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!

17. zorahk macrumors 6502

Protip: call when you want to return, don't go to the store.
    Corporate is much more lenient than the geniouses (I spelt it like that on purpose)

18. MBPLurker macrumors member

Forgive me, but if your iPad gets dust under the screen AFTER it comes into your possession how is that Apple's fault?

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, it shouldn't get dust under the screen at any point. It should be a nice seal. I've had mine a year come April and there is no sign of dust under the screen.

My glass was not straight, the store gave me an exchange and let me inspect it fully. They took my new one and gave me a new one but i kept my box. The other new one came from a brown plain box; they're said to be warranty replacements.

Either way, it sounds like the Op needs to inspect the device before leaving.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why didn't you tried it in the store?

They DO hand it to you out of the box in the store. You could have inspected before accepting it for the first time.

21. parkp81 thread starter macrumors member

I called in and the lady at Apple told me that if I do have this particular issue to just give them a call since they are separate from the Apple store and will resolve the issue for me.

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I would report it to their customer relations management team...

23. peaceActivist macrumors regular

peaceActivist

Damn sounds like some of you are just too salty when it comes to customer complaints like you own stock in apple. Defects happen and if it's under one year it should be taken care of. And if you are dumb enough to question how that's apples fault, then who do you go to? Your 10 year old neighbor who fixes iPods on the side? Get real. The guy has a real issue and he's within his one year warranty. Seriously some of you need to calm down with the whole "that's what you get, it's not apples fault they sold you a crappy product that was put together poorly and now you have to make multiple trips to their store to let them know of their mistakes to hopefully correct them."

24. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Oh, you again. You are the one that doesn't research their purchases before laying money down. By the way, why do you keep following me around?