Apple Store Service Plans

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XFacta82, Jun 3, 2008.

1. XFacta82 macrumors member

I was wondering what kind of services the apple store offers such as their warranty plans and such when you buy a macbook through them?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Standard warranty is

3 months phone support
    12 months hardware warranty

You can extend this by purchasing AppleCare to 3 years for both phone support and hardware.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

One nice thing to remember about AppleCare is that you can buy it anytime during that first year, on day 364 if you decide you want to buy it you can and it will extend the warranty out two more years.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes, but if he buys it with the computer or separately from somewhere else when he gets the computer, he won't lose 9 months of "free" AppleCare phone support (software and hardware) if he ever needs it.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes, but after Day 265 you can't buy it. If you think you want it, but it right away. Spending an extra $200 in addition to a $1000+ computer does not seem too bad. Later, you will find many other things you need to spend that money on until it is too late. This has happened to many people. You can buy it cheaper from Amazon or LA Computer, but don't wait too long.

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

If you are buying any laptop I recommend an extended warranty. If you have a screen go dead or a logic board failure, you might as well buy a new laptop otherwise. I used to work for Best Buy for 4 years (96-00), before they had Geek Squad, when the service bench (at least at my store) was actually good and didn't rip you off too badly. I saw so many laptops come and go. The ones with service plans were definitely treated better by our repair depots.

I bought applecare when I got my powerbook in Summer 04. 1 month before my applecare ran out 3 years later, I had my screen go, then my hard drive go almost as soon as I got the computer back from the screen repair. Apple replaced both, no questions asked. I also had a bad airport extreme card when I purchased the computer which was replaced within 2 weeks of my purchase.

Needless to say applecare definitely paid for itself, especially if you can get it at the student price.

YOU SHOULD GET IT.