Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9 to 5 Mac reports that the fine print of new signage in Apple's retail store is reiterating that the company intends to release the white iPhone 4 in the spring of next year.

110433-white_iphone_4_spring_signage_500.jpg

The company announced in late October that it would once again delay availability of the white version of Apple's popular handset over unspecified manufacturing issues. Rumors that Apple intends to eventually cancel the white version without releasing it immediately surfaced, but the new signage suggests that Apple is at least publicly standing by its stated "spring 2011" timeline for the time being.

Article Link: Apple Store Signage Reiterates Spring Release for White iPhone 4

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
Why buy a new iPhone 4 in Spring with the iPhone 5 literally 2 months away?

Seeing how people here are happily paying $800 for the cheapest iPad that got released here last week, with the new one coming next month, I see nothing wrong with Apple's strategy.

hushmartin

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Kansas
I was thinking the same thing-- there's no reason to buy in the spring when you could just wait a few more months for iPhone 5. Then it occurred to me that there are always those impatient idiots out there just dying to waste a few hundred bucks...

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Most folks are not as informed as they should be about Apple's release cycles or they just don't care. My mother-in-law bought herself an iPhone 3G about 5 months before the iPhone 3Gs release. I told her that my wife and I were going to wait for the new model to come out in the summer. Then my father-in-law bought the iPhone 3G for himself only 6 weeks before iPhone-3Gs was released. Again I reminded them that the new model was coming out, but they didn't care or they just liked the discount AT&T was offering at the time on the iPhone 3G. Either way, they still have those phones and only one of them is currently eligible for upgrade.

I'm currently waiting for iPhone-5... my 3Gs is still doing the job, though I envy the iPhone-4 owners (especially for the 512MB RAM and 5MP camera with backlit sensor -- I can wait for FaceTime).

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
A lot of people don't care to always have the latest gadgets, most simply aren't knowledgeable enough about release cycles like someone else mentioned, but also people like buying stuff before new ones come out. A lot of the time it means they're more reliable then right when they came out thanks to updates, they're on sale or on specials at stores since they have been out a while already, and if it already has everything they need then they really don't need to care about the new model at all.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I personally like the White iPhone. Or better yet, what it stands for nowadays. It's like the Yeti of phones. Now all we need are more appropriately blurry images of white phones that look close enough to be the white iPhone with more captions like, "White iPhone spotted?"

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I'll never understand the appeal of a "white" iPhone.

I have to bath and primp my macbook at least weekly.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Seeing how people here are happily paying $800 for the cheapest iPad that got released here last week, with the new one coming next month, I see nothing wrong with Apple's strategy.

I don't have any clue what you mean by this statement…

jW

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I think the appeal of the white iPhone is that the white is one of those very neutral colors that really shows off colored bumpers/covers better. Black is a bit more bold and makes a stronger statement, on its own, even when a colored bumper/cover is used.

A lot of people dress phones up like an accessory extension to what they're wearing. For quite a few, white works better in this fashion.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
That many people will go for the best deal now and disregard new releases just around the corner?

I think he was referring to the part, " with the new one coming next month" which is confusing to me too because there is not a new one coming out next month. :confused:

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
I think he was referring to the part, " with the new one coming next month" which is confusing to me too because there is not a new one coming out next month. :confused:

What I meant is that the second gen iPad is just around the corner. Okay, it may not be a month but you get the idea. And the other info, checking my location on the sidebar might help understand the rest of the post ;)

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
this sounds like a good story. one you would tell your kids before they go to bed. once upon a time, there was a white iPhone no one could see but apple....

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Or maybe, this is an old sign.

Signs used to say White iPhone in the spring, but clearly, this one hasn't been changed.

Some1Somewhere

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
Over the Rainbow

I just talked to two (not one, but TWO) apple experts on the live chat apple has, and they told me Apple plans to release the white iPhone 4 BEFORE 2011. That's in less than a month! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.