Apple Store Situation with Broken MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pokernut, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Pokernut macrumors member

So here's my situation. A few weeks ago I noticed my MBP wasn't recognizing the my battery anymore, there was just an X over the battery symbol. And the button on the side wasn't indicating my battery strength. I used it like that for a couple weeks till I had time to bring it to an Apple Store. When I brought it in the genius technician opened it up and noticed there was water damage. I was pretty pissed off because I don't remember spilling anything on it, but a lot of people use my laptop so I didn't complain and asked what the resolution was.

The genius guy was nice enough to say he was going to pretend he didn't notice the water mark and see if a new battery would fix the problem under my apple care warranty. Unluckily he came back to me and said that didn't work, and advised that I get the battery board replaced, hoping that fixed the problem. About two days later I get a call from a technician telling me that replacing the battery board wouldn't fix the problem and that I needed to replace the logic board quoting me at $1100+. I decided against it, I figured I would use the laptop as a desktop because I didn't want to spend the $1100 getting it fixed.

So my fiancee goes and picks up my MBP for me, I bring it home, and now it doesn't work at all! It won't even turn on. Needless to say I'm extremely pissed because I can already foresee the outcome. Apple will say there's water damage and its not there problem. I called the store only to have some genius technician rush me off the phone and just kept telling me to bring it in and set an appointment.

I go from having a MBP that works perfectly fine excluding the battery, to having a MBP thats completely dead and won't turn on.

What do you guys think will happen? Should I continue to complain to a manager or am I SOL?

2. Shaki macrumors newbie

I am in the same exact situation with my MBP.

Just today got quoted at over $1200 for same repair.

And to your problem, I'd definitely take it back to the store ... but then again how can you prove it was working before you took it to them?

3. Pokernut thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, the only proof I have is that the genius technician that originally helped me turned on the laptop and was looking at the battery statistics and other stuff before opening it up. We also talked about how I could just use it as a desktop if I didn't want to replace the logic board.

Man I'm so pissed, all I want is it returned the same way I brought it in.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

THIS is why I don't go to the Genius Bar anymore. I went in to have a SuperDrive replaced and they chipped the casing hooks on the side and they fell into my machine and destroyed my fans and probably other stuff as the whole machine is bloated now at different areas including both sides and front.

I do my own repairs now.

5. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Wow, sorry to hear.

But this makes me wonder, I thought Apple had instituted the "no more than $300" for any single repair incident.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Really? Apple quoted me a $800 screen repair on the same machine. Heck, I even noticed that they didn't push the top case back in properly and asked for them to fix it. You know what they told me? Flat out NO. It would have taken them two minutes.

7. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

This seems extraordinarily unlikely. Source?

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Try 15-20min. It takes time to remove a topcase and replace it. I know from experience.

Sometimes the people at the genius bar can act like total dicks... But other times, they are very helpful.

9. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

A motherboard is definitely more than 300 dollars, especially Apple mobos.

10. c7aea macrumors regular

Its true. My 2008 MBP wouldn't turn on. I brought it in and they said I need a new logic board. To my surprise they quoted me $310 for Apple service and another $70 for facilitation of charge. I was quite happy to pay $380 for something I have been reading costs like $1200. So for that $380 they go though check and replace anything that needs it.
    They ended up replacing the logic board as well as the input/output board calming that there was an audio issue (which I didn't even know about) and a flex cable.
    They also stated that the logic board was replaced because of the GPU so I called them up and asked about the extended warrantee for the bad GPUs and he said hey didn't do the necessary test so they refunded my $380!
    The only thing that this one price fix doesn't include is operator damage. Like water so the OP might have an issue unless he can get rid of the water evidence.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Actually, yeah, you're right now that I remember removing it to take the chipped piece out. I would still think they would have done it for me since it was THEIR doing and opens up for dirt, etc to get inside - which it did.

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I am not denying that it was their fault. But, you should have inspected the computer before signing the release forms. If you noticed it before you signed the forms, you should have fought with them until they agreed to fix the issue that they caused.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, well, I'm doing that next time, if there is ever. I'm unlikely to go for an extended AppleCare for that reason now.