Apple Store switched my MB 2.1 for 2.4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jshelton, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I ordered a Macbook on July 25th. I got some programs installed and got familiar with my new toy. It was the white 2.1/1GB/120GB/Combo. I noticed that the top case on the left side was sort of bowed up. It was above one of the screws. I didn't think it was a big deal but I decided to carry it to the Apple Store since I was going anyway. I made an appointment with a Genius. I pulled the Macbook out, showed him the problem, and gave him my invoice. He looked at the invoice, thought for a minute, and said, "Do you care if we just give you a new one?" I said, "That's fine as long as you can transfer my data and files over to the new machine." He said they could and proceeded to go to the back and get a Macbook. He brought it out, printed me a new receipt with a $0.00 balance, and transferred my files over. I said thanks and went on my way. Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice...I realized they had given me the 2.4/2Gb/160GB/Superdrive. I was pretty stoked to say the least. This morning I started thinking about it and my conscience got the best of me. I called the Apple Store and told them what they did. I just told them I thought they should know. I figured they would just tell me to enjoy the free upgrade. A really polite manager got on the line and I told him what happened. He said they would research the situation and call me back.

Are they going to take my Macbook from me? :(
    They haven't called and it's been several hours...

2. Fromethius macrumors member

3. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

I would think you'd get to keep it and the genius bar employee may just get told to be more careful. But that's just my guess.

4. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

or they just figured out the mistake, found the person who accidently traded it for him and got him fired. all because of you and your conscious :p. and then they get the macbook back. all that ends well for apple!

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Oh, you'll be kicking yourself four years down the road, when you're homeless, and your only possession is your MacBook, your only window to the world the wireless connection when you pass by a WiFi area....

Things will be a little choppy, things that would be fixed by.... another 300 MHz. You'll think "why, oh why didn't I take that 2.4 GHz MB!?!"

Okay, so there's a small chance that that will never happen.

But still.

6. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

That's awesome, I don't think I would do that but some way; if you ever want to resell your macbook you don't have a very legit receipt (at least if I was a buyer I wouldn't think so) .

7. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

You did the right thing. If they will do you right, they will let you keep it and make the adjustment to their inventory. What are they going to do with another USED MacBook and then piss you off for taking it back? Thats what I would do as a manager.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

You did the right thing, and they'll probably tell you to keep it.

I would have did exactly what you did: enjoyed it for a short time, and then called and "fessed up."

I wouldn't want someone to get in trouble for something like that, but I'd certainly love it if they told you to enjoy!