Apple store sydney to bring in 3G iphones with it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattyK, Jun 1, 2008.

  1. MattyK macrumors 6502a

    MattyK

    #1
    As you all know, the apple store in sydney is being built right as i sent this post. link here.
    A friend of mine, who works at MyMac sydney, formerly known as the academy store, has asked a ex worker that moved to apple store sydney training about the iphone coming in with the apple store. they said they can't release any information and that the store may be bringing new products. So hopefully this means the new apple store sydney will bring in the first iphones into australia.
     
  2. neven macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #2
    That's quite possible, but don't take your friend's testimony as advice of anything. Apple Store employees typically know slightly less about upcoming products than the average macrumors member :)
     
  3. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MattyK

    #3
    hmm. i guess.. but considering apple is opening the first official store, so close to the WWDC, You'd think they may have told their workers in training how to sell and describe the new products? (training has been going on for about a month) So i hope this is right.
     
  4. neven macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #4
    They'll be trained on selling the current iPhone; that will cover about 90% of inquiries about iPhone in general. The other 10% they will be briefed on either

    a) in the weeks between the new iPhone announcement and actual shipping date, if there is such a delay (most likely), or
    b) in the hour or so between the receipt of the surprise new product and the time it goes on sale.

    It's not at all uncommon for Apple stores to receive updated products and not train their employees on them a whole lot, if the surprise factor is worth it. They'll learn as much as they can from the Apple website as they're selling it. Sounds crazy, but it happens. Still, I doubt this will happen with iPhone.

    Apple doesn't even tell store managers anything about unannounced products, let alone brief kids who work there. All the other attempts at secrecy would be pointless if they did that :)
     
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #5
    I wish we got at least some prior information about new stuff - it's such a pain in the arse having to answer questions on the minutiae of a new product when you're only just reading through all the information yourself.

    It's amazing how a product can be announced at 3am and someone thinks that a salesperson will know if it works with "xyz third party product" at 8:30am just as they've unlocked the store.
     
  6. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MattyK

    #6
    yeah.
    but why would they train the employees to the 1st gen iphone, when that isn't even out here yet? sounds a bit off to me :S
    and if they did leak anything out to the to be employees, i'm sure they must have made them sign a contract. but it's just a rumour.
    for now.

    and chundles, are you a apple employee?
     
  7. neven macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #7
    Because 90% of its functionality and related customer questions will be the same.

    Come on now... CEOs of companies have been caught sharing information that breaks NDAs, and you think Apple would trust a bunch of teens and twentysomethings who work in retail when they sign one?
     
  8. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #8
    No I'm not an Apple employee - I work for a premium reseller so as far as information goes we get just as much as the regular public - sweet F.A.
     
  9. needthephone macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2006
    Location:
    sydney
    #11
    I would bet money on the opening of the Sydney store coinciding with the 3G Iphone launch.

    Apple is the master at launches and its just not them to let this major Southern Hemisphere store launch go un marked.

    Its no coincidence that this store just happens to be opening in the next week or so.
     
  10. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MattyK

    #12
    thank you, somone finally gets where im coming from hahaha
     
  11. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

    MattyK

  12. iCantwait macrumors 65816

    iCantwait

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #14
    well, iphone related positions are popping up on the apple au employment site
     

Share This Page