Apple Store - T8 Torx

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djinn, Feb 5, 2008.

1. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why would you buy it at an Apple store? I've gotten multi-bit Torx drivers from hardware stores for ~$4. :confused:

3. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I went to Sears and bought individually the following drivers......

T5, T6, T7, T8, T9

Working on the Macbook, and iBook we needed them all at one time or another.

I doubt Apple Store sells tools to take what they sell apart! :eek:

5. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

6. Fezzasus macrumors regular

They don't sell anything that you would need a T8 screwdriver to replace, so i don't see why they'd sell the screwdriver.

7. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

You need a reason? :)

8. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Yeah, I'm Married!

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Stupid Apple instructions. I downloaded the instructions to replace my brand new macbook's hard drive (got the super sale 320GB WD external hard drive) and I cracked the enclosure open (very simple).

Everything is going fine, I slide out the Macbook's original hard drive and am ready to slide the new 320GB hard drive in.....one problem seems like I am missing a torx T8 screwdriver.

I have everything in my mini toolkit T10, T15.....missing the Torx T8. I wished they had put that in the instructions.

I downloaded the MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf file straight from Apple and nowhere does it mention this screwdriver. I should have gotten straight to the source (macrumors.com forums)

Now everything is open and it's cold outside and getting late (9PM) on the east coast. I do not feel like going to the hardware store.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The instructions on the DIY pages are for Apple replacement parts. They ship the drive with the cage that has the T8 screws.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

11. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

pointless screws just to piss people off, grrrrr. why is everthign else phillips but that. nooo reason for it to not be other than to screw the consumer!:mad:

12. CTechKid macrumors regular

[​IMG]

13. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

No, Torx is a MUCH superior screwhead, particularly for electronics applications. Philips was designed to cam out to prevent too much torque on the driver damaging the drill. This is more or less a non issue these days. By design, Torx don't slip as easily, which means you don't have to apply pressure to prevent cam outs. Day to day use, Torx is vastly superior to Philips.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can use a flathead screwdriver to remove torx screws if you don't have the proper size torx. If you don't have a flathead that will fit nicely, then you might as well buy the correct torx.