Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
hi I want order my Mac Pro custom:

Mac Pro:
- Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
- 2GB (2 x 1GB)
- 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)
- One 16x SuperDrive
- Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
- Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
- Airport Extreme Card

and big surprise! $223 of tax! really sucks!
problem with other stores:
amazon dont offer me custom!!!
powermax spend 2 weeks or more to send me for FL
any other secure and serious store to buy online, with no taxes and free shipping?

thanks

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Well technically in most states you're supposed to pay use taxes on your tax return if you buy something online or from another state and didn't pay sales tax on it...not that anyone generally does. I bought my iMac during a tax-free weekend.

Cromas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
mmm thanks, its beacuse Iam outside usa, and I want buy I have a address on FL, yeah 223$ its not much but I need pay around 500$ more for get to my country... so its expensive... :(

that free taxes weekend success a lot times? I wait? how knows when happend I dont want pay that ****i... tax!

amazon sounds perfect no tax, no shipping, send fast... but No Custom! so bad!

any help! ?
thanks!

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
mmm thanks, its beacuse Iam outside usa, and I want buy I have a address on FL, yeah 223$ its not much but I need pay around 500$ more for get to my country... so its expensive... :(

that free taxes weekend success a lot times? I wait? how knows when happend I dont want pay that ****i... tax!

amazon sounds perfect no tax, no shipping, send fast... but No Custom! so bad!

any help! ?
thanks!

Tax free weekends require buying in store, so that won't help you if you're outside the US, unless your location has something similar.

330toSRT8

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
What's all this talk about tax free weekends? Must be an east coast thing. I just moved to MD recently from California.

Cromas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
buhhhhhh apple store sucks!

amazon too, no custom...

other good store?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
See, this is why the system in the US sucks. You never know what you're paying until you get to the counter. Here all prices by law are required to include tax in the price so that a product priced at $5 is $5 not $5 plus tax.

So much easier.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
amazon too, no custom...

other good store?

How about MacMall?
Only the 320GB hard drive but for the extra hundred bucks you would spend for the 500GB you can buy a second hard drive.

macmall.jpg

Cromas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
mac mall

I send a mail to macmall for see he they can send me custom.

I can trust on macmall? its good?

thanks

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
See, this is why the system in the US sucks. You never know what you're paying until you get to the counter. Here all prices by law are required to include tax in the price so that a product priced at $5 is $5 not $5 plus tax.

So much easier.

Ever heard of mental math? Yes, sales tax differs by state, but it's not that hard to figure.

Welcome to the land of $19.95!

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
You know what I hate about taxes? They go to a war that 80% of the country doesn't want. Either fix the potholes on my street, hire more cops and firefighters, or give me my money back!!!

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Federal Taxes don't pay for war. They simply take money out of the economy to offset inflation. Everything is paid for with treasury bonds purchased by individuals or the fed by printing more money. Sales tax goes to your state so I don't really feel as bad about them because my state hasn't declared war on anyone. I'd much rather my money went to my state than fed.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ever heard of mental math? Yes, sales tax differs by state, but it's not that hard to figure.

Welcome to the land of $19.95!

Wait, you're actually saying that not displaying the real price is a good thing? Yes I have heard of mental maths I have a chemistry degree so I'm pretty good with numbers. What I don't get is why taxes aren't on the price tag - there's no good reason to leave it off.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Maybe if you tell us what country you're in, we can try to come up with some other possible solutions.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Well technically in most states you're supposed to pay use taxes on your tax return if you buy something online or from another state and didn't pay sales tax on it...not that anyone generally does. I bought my iMac during a tax-free weekend.

...with the exception of cigarettes.

I went on a Vegas road trip. I'm from Chicago, I bought a carton from a discount cig reseller in Missouri(?). Four years later (6 wks ago), I received a notice from the IRS stating that I owed them something like $12 for purchasing tobacco out of state.

How the hell did they even know? A colleague received a similar notice for a cig purchase around the same time as well.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006

I went on a Vegas road trip. I'm from Chicago, I bought a carton from a discount cig reseller in Missouri(?). Four years later (6 wks ago), I received a notice from the IRS stating that I owed them something like $12 for purchasing tobacco out of state.

How the hell did they even know? A colleague received a similar notice for a cig purchase around the same time as well.

credit card statements? Maybe you're on an FBI watch list, so they are tracking you in depth!

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA

Did the store require ID? Or perhaps the seller is required to provide a list of transactions and names to the IRS from credit cards? The four years part is pretty bizarre, though.

Not that this has anything to do with the OP's thread at this point...

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
credit card statements? Maybe you're on an FBI watch list, so they are tracking you in depth!

Well I don't believe they track your CC statements unless of course; like you say -- you're under some kind of watch... which I seriously doubt is the case. Other than that, I'm guessing that maybe the discount shop may not have been entirely 'legitimate'. I know that they're no longer in business. My CC was probably still on record there.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Did the store require ID? Or perhaps the seller is required to provide a list of transactions and names to the IRS from credit cards? The four years part is pretty bizarre, though.

Not that this has anything to do with the OP's thread at this point...

see above...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.