Apple Store Taxes

manic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Ill be in the US (NY) next week and intend to finally switch, but heard that buying online is cheaper. Apparently, simply by buying from the physical store I'll pay a 11% tax which would not apply should I choose the online store.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Untrue. The Apple Store online charges sales tax based on the shipping address.

Amazon.com, however may not charge sales tax.

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
AndyM said:
From my understanding that in NYC it is only 5% sales tax:

http://www.campustravel.com/tax_info/newyork.html
I think they have it the wrong way round (should be 8.625% in the city, and 5% outside). In fact later in the above page it states as such.

Please note: In New York, sales tax is county based. For New York City, where presumably a large number of your travelers will be staying, the amount is 8.625%.
You can probably save a few bucks by making the trip to NJ (where the tax rate is something like six or seven percent, though Governor Corzine might be revising that figure upwards as I speak), but if your time in NY is limited, it's not really worthwhile.

(And no, the rate is definitely not 13%, take it from someone who lives here..)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
shambolic said:
(And no, the rate is definitely not 13%, take it from someone who lives here..)
Like I said, I was probably wrong. I thought that they may have listed the state sales tax and then the additional tax put on by NYC. You've got a cheaper tax there than we do in Chicago or even out in some suburbs. Absolutely redic.

AndyM

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2006
Just hijacking this guys thread, Does it have to be an american Student ID? think i could use a british one?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Pressure said:
Suck it up, just be glad you don't have 25% VAT as we do here in Denmark ;)
Our property taxes in Cook County are out the ass, too. So I'm sure when you factor in all the taxes on people in my county, it adds up to close to 25%.

manic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
If I take my passport along with my boarding ticket, do I still have to pay the tax/ am elegible for a refund? thanks for all the help!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Lets settle this:

1. Apple Retail Stores charge tax.
2. Apple Online Store charges tax and shipping.
3. Both Apple Retail and Online stores accecpt education discounts.
4. Education discounts rarily make up for tax or shipping cost.

(my parents are both teachers, I live in NY)

If you are dead set on getting it today to go a Apple Store and use education discount.

If you want the most cost effective option (very sad) -- then go to a mail order place like MacWarehouse (are they CDW now?, MacMall or ClubMac.

While they do charge shipping cost you will probably get some free ram, printer, money off option which you should check out.

I wish apple gave more off for education... but they don't.

--MrMacMan

manic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2006
MrMacMan said:
Lets settle this:

I understand that amazon.com does not charge sales tax. This is my situation:

Ive been wanting to get a mac for ages now. Ill make a trip to the US (NY) (arriving sunday, 8th). I can either (i) walk into apples retail store and pay $1299+$100 tax or order it from amazon and pay $1299. However, what if the bloody Core2Duo Macbook gets released tuesday 10th? If I buy from the store, no problem, ill just return it in exchange for the new one. If I buy through amazon ill have to return it, but risk ending without my macbook because ill be leaving on the 15th.

If I buy from the retail store and open it only to learn they updated them the day after, can I exchange it free of charge? Will i find the new machines the day they are released, or are they usually out of stock during the first week?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
manic said:
.....If I buy from the retail store and open it only to learn they updated them the day after, can I exchange it free of charge? Will i find the new machines the day they are released, or are they usually out of stock during the first week?

generally speaking, if you've opened the box then you're facing a restocking fee if you want to return the computer

unfortunately, there's no way to predict if a new model is going to be in stock immediately and often it isn't.......for example, the recently released 24" imax didn't show up in my local apple store until more than a week after it was announced

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
MrMacMan said:
Lets settle this:

--MrMacMan
Well if want to be correct then:

2. Free shipping (except express)
3. Hardware only is eligible for EDU discount at the Retail stores. Hardware and Software is eligible if you order online.