Apple Store to Open in Grafton Street Dublin Offical

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GeekOFComedy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Apple, maker of the iPhone and the Mac computer, is looking to open a shop in Dublin and has hired property advisers Jones Lang LaSalle to find a suitable premises.

The shop will be run by Apple's UK licensee and is likely to be about 6,000 square feet over two levels. The retailer, which is expected to launch a new iPhone and cut its prices tomorrow, is understood to have looked at the former Habitat shop at Suffolk Street and the former Dunnes Stores at Grafton Street in recent months.

Apple is one of several retailers looking to take advantage of falling rents by moving into Ireland. Abercrombie & Fitch's Hollister brand, which is popular with students, has held talks about opening here over the past 18 months and is understood to be close to signing a lease in Belfast. Sources said Abercrombie & Fitch itself is unlikely to open in Dublin at present, largely because Grafton Street is run-down. The Sunday Tribune understands that Hollister has shown an interest in opening at Henry Street.

Austrian jewellery chain Frey Wille is also looking at locations in Dublin while sports retailer Puma, which recently signed an eight-year sponsorship deal with the Irish Rugby Football Union, has also been scouting potential locations. However, Puma announced last week that it was closing most of its British stores which may put a move here on the back burner.

The Sunday Tribune revealed last month that H&M's Cos and Spanish accessories chain Tous are looking to open in Dublin. American retailer Gap is also looking for additional shops in Dublin.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/jun/07/apple-seeks-a-slice-of-dublin-pie/

Woot for Me!! I'll have totally coverage on the launch:apple::apple:

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thanks for posting this and good to see happening. I'll take a look when I'm next in the vicinity. Grafton St was wildly over-priced during the boom, so let's hope conditions and rent are a lot more realistic than they used to be.

Cheers and good luck

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Took their time, with PC worlds poor Apple out of date stock, and the SPECTRA stores in financial trouble (one on Grafton St has some Apple stock), there may not be many other sellers around if Apple don't open their own here soon enough :)

What's the chance of them coming to Kerry ;)

5. Yixian macrumors 65816

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

There is neither hide nor hair of Apple in Grafton Street yet; I walked the street last week, and even the O2 mobile phone network store - which used to stock Apple products no longer does so, and has not done so for some time. Maybe that's a good sign, but, for the moment, nothing much seems to have happened, and, given the current deplorable state of the Irish economy, it is possible that Apple's long-awaited appearance in Grafton St or elsewhere may yet take some time.

Cheers

7. ProfessorBatman macrumors newbie

I noticed that there is work going on in the old Dunnes on Grafton street up near HMV. They're giving the outside a nice new coat of white paint. Couldn't see what they were doing inside.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Apple are supposedly opening a store in Cork too; in the new Opera Lane development in the city centre. Funnily enough, I called the exact unit they are interested in weeks ago - Apple's criteria for new stores make it quite easy.

Funnily too - both H&M and Gap are going into the same new development in Cork too. I wonder if Apple factors in the other shops in the same building to determine the likely customer type.