APPLE STORE UK NOT SUPPORTING iLIFE 08?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wheetman, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Wheetman macrumors member

Now that's got your attention hasn't it?

As a prospective switcher, (awaiting Leopard) I am confused as to why the Apple Store UK is still advertising iLife 06 as the included application for all but the new iMac and miniMac. The US Store had iLife 08 advertised throughout its range from day 1 of the release. I am curious to know whether any of you have bought anything other than an iMac or mini out of the UK store since the release of 08 and what you got in your package. Is it simply that the mac comes with 06 pre-installed, but there is a drop-in version of 08 for customer installation, or is it a question of letting the old stock run out before the o8 version will be included. With no previous experience of a Mac purchase this one has got me wondering.

Kind regards,

Wheetman

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They are probably just being slow to update the web pages. I was in the Bullring store yesterday and all the Macs on display were loaded with iLife '08.

Why don't you call them on 0800 039 1010 and ask?

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

i could guarentee you 100% that all macs include iLife 08.

Apple isnt a company to try and get rid of remaining stock by holding back the latest updates for customers.

in general the UK site i have always found a bit lagging behind to be honest...

4. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

Hi OllyW,

Before calling the store, I wanted to see what the lay of the land was with other's experiences. No point in advertising yourself as an absolute newbie when there is such a wealth of knowledge to call upon amongst these pages. Had the store page not updated so quickly after the media release by SJ I'd have gone with your UK is a bit slow argument. I guess I was so impressed by the slick way in which the products and new Macs were released and the stores updated the same day that it did not occur to me that the stores would be slow in updating all pages. That fact alone made me suspicious that the omission may have been deliberate.

I'll see what comes back and then give them a ring closer to October - when the question then will be 'Has the Mac I'm buying already got Leopard installed as well as iLife 08? :D

Cheers.

Wheetman

5. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

Hi Vincebio,

If you are right - and I don't doubt you for one minute, its a sad indictment on the UK Store if they have not updated their store pages yet. It also begs the question why the Apple store in France is showing the same omissions of their pages also.

Cheers,

Wheetman

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Site is just slow on being updated. If yu buy from Apple or an Apple store you will get the new version. It may not be installed - when I bought my Mac Mini it had iLife 04 installed on the disk, but the iLife 05 install disks had been added in the box. Same thing happened to a friend after Tiger was released. His Mini came with Panther installed, but the Tiger disk had been added to the box at the last moment.

If you buy from a third party you need to be real sure of what you are getting though.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even so you can use the "Up to date" program to get iLife '08 for £9.99.

8. Wheetman thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, Seems like the people at Apple can be trusted to do the right thing by ensuring that you get the most recent version of your software. As SJ said on 7th August, iLife 08 available today and will ship free with all new Macs. You all seem to suggest that the Apple promise will hold good. Why then would anybody want to buy from a third party outlet or am I missing something here?

9. weckart macrumors 68040

The UK stores are still selling the old Apple Extreme at the full price. Staff did not seem to be aware that it had been updated. Caveat emptor.