Apple Store UK Only - Change battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trustever, Dec 19, 2013.

1. trustever macrumors 6502

Dear UK Iphone 5 owners,

after finding some stats on this forum about the battery cycles of the IP5 I have found out that mine is really below average, problem is my IP5 is over 1 year holder and I was wondering what are the chance that Apple will swap the battery for free also if the 1st year has passed claming that the battery was defective from the beginning.

If you could share your personal experience that would be great, it goes with out saying that I do not have Apple Care.

Thanks and Regards,

2. trustever thread starter macrumors 6502

For those of you that might be interested I have pop at the Apple Store in Covent Garden and they have examined the phone and told me that the battery has been used and worn out but did not fail so if I want it replaced is GBP 55...

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep, an exhausted battery is not covered by any warranty. They have a test which shows them if a battery has failed because of wear or because of a fault.

How many cycles did yours have?

4. trustever thread starter macrumors 6502

I did test it in two separate occasion just 1 charging cycle apart one from the other but the resoult could not be reliable at all:

first test geve me 520 cycles and battery degradation of 900 something
    second test gave more than 600 cylce and battery degradation of 600 something

When I have some time I will swap the battery with one from ebay hopying I will not blow the phone and see what happens.

5. Furifo macrumors 6502

£55 is extortionate. Just make sure you buy a good quality battery with good quality tools.

There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to replace the battery on an iPhone 5. The entire process is simple and very straightforward, takes literally 5 minutes and IMO carries minimal risk as long as you're careful.

Good luck!

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

600 cycles is definitely wear and tear, unfortunately. I believe the policy for iPhones is 50% capacity at 300 cycles.

If you're comfortable opening the phone, you can probably get a battery for about £25 or so. Personally, I'd pay Apple the £55. That way, if they screw anything up while they're in there, it's their responsibility!

7. trustever thread starter macrumors 6502

Mate have you ever replaced any battery on Iphone 5? Have you got any suggestion of a reputable seller for a good battery and tools for no more than £ 25? Anything costing more than that is not worth as at that point I will let Apple do it.

8. Furifo macrumors 6502

I have replaced the battery on a friend's iPhone 5. He bought the stuff and I replaced the battery for him. Everything went well and I'm told the battery is quite solid.

This battery looks good and the feedback seems great:

http://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Apple-iPhone-5-Battery-ORIGINAL-Internal-Replacement-Battery-Pack-/291021128532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c2360354

I watched this video first to guide me through the process:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBIxr8W7ECc

If you feel like you don't want to miss anything then you could watch the video as you are replacing the battery and pause it at each step.

As for the tools, my friend bought some pretty crappy tools off the internet and I was a little concerned I was going to strip the screws. The replacement went ok but I would definitely shop around eBay for some higher quality tools. Listings that claim to sell a bundle of "high quality tools" for about £2 are NOT high quality tools and I would stay away from them.

9. trustever, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

trustever thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I took the plunge and replaced the battery with one bought on ebay.

The replacemente process has been very easy, done all alone and in 5 minutes.

The new battery is now lasting for 2 days on my average use and could nopt be happier. BTW battery and tools all costed under GBP 8 vs 55 that apple would have charged me for the same service.

Attached Files: