apple store uk selling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randomuk, Jul 9, 2008.

1. randomuk macrumors newbie

2. tobytoby macrumors member

This has been covered in a few other threads, but since it is a topic of interest to me, here is what appears to be the consensus:

• More than one person has been in touch/visited the (flagship?) Regents Street store and they have apparently said 'yes' but someone correct me if there is more recent info
    • No sign of Apple retail stores on the 'Where to buy' bit of the Apple UK web site (just O2 and CPW listed)
    • I've no idea about the regional stores. Again, it's of interest to me as I could call in to the one at Meadowhall on Friday on the way to Sheffield
    • Various comments saying that Apple stores will sell only new contracts and not upgrades
    • Following WWDC there were various comments that Apple stores did not have the infrastructure and experience to sign people up to contracts and were looking for help from O2

Therefore I suspect the answer is 'yes', but I have no idea if all Apple stores will be ready for this at launch. I did notice on the Apple UK Retail site listing for the Meadowhall store that there were a few instructional events taking place per normal on Friday. One might have thought that if they expected hoards to buying iPhones in the store that they might have cancelled these for the day. However, this is just speculation as I have no idea what the precedent is from last year.

Anyone else planning a visit to the Meadowhall Apple store on Friday? I suppose if they aren't doing the iPhone 3G then there is apparently an O2 store just across the concourse.

Edit: Following tullys post below I checked the Meadowhall store page again and the events scheduled for Friday have now been removed! I feel this is a positive sign ;)

3. tullys macrumors member

tullys

UK Apple Stores...

I called Bluewater on Tues evening:

"Yes we'll be selling it"

I called Kingston and Southampton Weds morning:

Southampton were very guarded, saying even they would be but on a second call they said to check apple.com/uk/retail/westquay/.

Kingston hinted that yes they were but that at the moment only CPW and O2 were announced as retail, so until I heard different from Apple, they'd only have them in the store to look at.

However I've noticed at least 2 stores have cleared their Workshop schedule for Friday.

From what I've heard directly from the stores I would be more surprised if they weren't selling the thing themselves. Although you'll probably need to check online later on Thursday to be sure.

Hope this helps

4. geeb macrumors regular

My friend works in an Apple store in the South West and he is working overnight Thursday to set up the iPhone POS, etc.

5. tobytoby macrumors member

Thanks for this. Just checked on the web page for Meadowhall and they now seem to have cancelled their events for Friday so I've updated my post above accordingly. I've just called them as well, but after going through the voice prompts, phone rang for an eternity with no reply...

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Are they doing upgrades though? So many conflicting reports ;)

7. tullys macrumors member

tullys

If you need to call the stores again, just press "5" once the lady starts listing the phone tree options, you'll get straight to the store, but will still have to wait an age.

BTW if you take the Apple Care option a colleague (who was conferenced into the call) noted that it was cheaper than phoning Apple Care direct on their 0870 number...

8. randomuk thread starter macrumors newbie

isn't it interesting - please o2, cpw or apple pretty please take my money. go on... i'll put a nice pink bow round it :)

and let's face it, we would all rather purchase from apple. thanks for the feedback