Apple store upgrade RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fontane, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

Just called the Apple store to make sure they didn't have any 13inch MBA with 8GB RAM (128 or 256 SSD) and they said while they don't have any there, that I could purchase the 13 inch with 4GB RAM and they would upgrade it there on-site. I asked if he was sure and he said yes. Asked if there was a fee, and he said only the fee for the RAM hardware.

Thought the upgrade to 8GB RAM was only possible through Apple store online. What do you guys think?

2. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

They might have some of the logic boards with 8GB in store, so would probably swap the LB and put the original SSD in then hand it back... I would imagine anyway...

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

RAM is soldered to the motherboard. It can't be upgraded by anyone, anywhere, at any price. It has to be built that way.

4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

QFT; get a MBA with the desired RAM amount. Don't buy that they can upgrade it, because that would be an entire logic board replacement, something I really doubt Apple would do simply to "upgrade" the RAM for you on site.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

And when I needed a logic board replacement, it wasn't an in-store thing anyway.

6. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. You guys are definitely smart with this stuff.

I'm going to swing by there tomorrow to inquire in person and make sure I'm talking with someone knowledgeable.

7. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Mine was, but that's only because it's a huge store and I waited hours for them to do it. At least with my 2006 MacBook... Probably more complex with the Airs, though.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Mine was the main store in a large city. Could have been a part availability issue mind you, but either way it left there and took a few days.

9. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I'm intested in the same model. Please report back and let us know what you find out. As long as its certified by Apple, and comes with the same warranty and return options, I would love to be able to buy mine at one of their store instead of ordering online, which I was expecting to have to do.

10. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Definitely a part availability issue. I've had logic board replacements done in store... In my case, they called the other STL store and found out the other store had the part. If they hadn't, it would have been sent out.

11. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

I called the same store again and was told that they could not upgrade ram on the MBA -- that it indeed must be ordered from the online store.