Apple store uses windows?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrjoeyjiffy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. mrjoeyjiffy, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

I got a kick out of this*edit dont kjnow how to delete tthis personal info

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

They've been using those for a while now. I think I heard a rumor at some point that Steve & Co. were looking to replace those with something else but I guess that hasn't panned out yet.

3. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

The Apple Store employees mobile sales machines (the ones they put your credit card into) currently run on Windows (CE, I believe). I read somewhere that they are about to phase them out in favour of modified iPod Touches.

The huge iPhones in the store windows run on Windows too.

edit: found the story on Appleinsider

4. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

No they don't - I've seen a few with OS X error messages on them.

I agree with that AppleInsider article though, hopefully soon we'll see iPhones or iPod Touches in the hands of the sales people. I've spoken to a few about the EasyPay machines and they hate them.

5. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

Well some of them do. I was at the Regent Street store at 5.45am on Friday morning for the 3GS launch and they were messing around with one of the ones in the window and it was clearly a Windows desktop it was showing. I should've taken a pic.

6. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

Actually, I think the one I saw was in the window of an O2 or Carphone Warehouse. Funny how they use Macs but Apple don't...

7. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

8. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

They use Windows Mobile because the API supports external accessories, whereas the iPhone/touch didn't until 3.0. They are looking to switch to iPod touch as soon as a credit card reader accessory is made for it.

Steve

9. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

The Apple online store crashed on me with an IIS error once... I was a bit surprised to say the least.

10. golden3159 macrumors member

Wow, really? Surprising they used IIS instead of Apache or any other kind for that matter.

11. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Yep... it was early this year. My colleagues couldn't quite believe it either when I showed them.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

That, and Symbol makes decent ruggedized units. I'm very curious to see how Apple is going to ruggedize the iPod touch so it doesn't shatter into a million pieces when it gets dropped on the concrete tiles in the Apple Stores! You can drop an EasyPay from 8 feet up and then kick it across the floor and it'll still work! :eek:

13. The General macrumors 601

The big iPhones are just HDTVs in disguise. Plug a device that can loop video into it, loop video demostrating iPhone OS, done. Surely some use a Mac, some use a PC, some might even use something else.