Apple store v normal shop for 6s purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by James83448, Oct 7, 2015.

1. James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

I am planning on buying a 6s in the next week or so and I was trying to find out the advantages and disadvantages of buying it either through the Apple Online Store (I'm in NZ so no Apple retail stores), or through a reseller?

The obvious disadvantage of buying online, is that I'll have to wait on delivery (currently 3-5 business days), whereas a normal shop I can get it instantly.

One major factor I have to think about is I travel a lot, and move from country to country, not really residing in one country for more than a year. I'm thinking that if I buy through Apple, I wouldn't have any problems with receipts as it's emailed to me, whereas a store, I'll have a physical receipt which I could easily loose. Another similar advantage is if I had to return the iPhone for whatever reason, I could simply call AppleCare+ and they would get it sorted if I was in different country, whereas if I buy from a shop, they may request me to return it to that shop and I could be on the other side of the world!

Can anybody add to the list given, to help me decide where to purchase my new 6s from please?

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I believe the serial number is all you need for warranty, so that's not an issue. Apple support should be worldwide no matter where you bought it.

You might also consider the issue of a "not perfect" iPhone. If you're one of those people that will go through 5 iPhones because there's a faint spot you can see if you turn the brightness down to 5% with a white background, finding a good shop might be your best bet. If you can't find one willing to humour an OCD client, buying online means you can send the phones back, but you'll be without while you go through the process.

Personally, I'm usually a fan of supporting smaller local businesses. Especially if they're providing the same value and service.

C

3. James83448 thread starter macrumors regular

James83448

If I did find a defect in the new iPhone, shouldn't the shop exchange it anyway? If not, then sending the phone to Apple should sort it?

I called Apple and they said there isn't much difference between buying from a reseller or from them. And I called the sales line so you would imagine they would try and convince you that buying from them is better!

4. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Different people have different ideas of what a "defect" is. Some people return things for bizarre reasons. Or even because of their mistake, like wrong colour or storage size. Apple is usually willing to make the exchange, within their return window. A store... Who knows.

And Apple's phone reps obviously aren't on commission... :)

C

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

My experience is that AT&T and Apple are identical when purchasing online. I prefer AT&T mainly because they've never been late. I get it at 9:50 AM on release day while the campers are still waiting in line outside.

6. James83448 thread starter macrumors regular

James83448

I purchase from the online apple store.

The order was placed at around 1900 Sunday evening, and by 1300 Tuesday morning my iPhone had arrived. Super fast delivery bearing in mind it came from Australia and not from within NZ!

I had the same insane service when ordering my rMBP and iPhone 6 from the online store!