iPhone X Apple store visit question

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Hi

I have a gap on the right side of my screen between the display assembly and phone body and the area around the sim tray feels a bit rough.

I have called apple support and booked an appointment at the store however I’m worried that I’ll get there and I’ll be told it’s fine or within spec or whatever, the store is a 1.5 hour drive.

Has anyone had success getting an exchange for this issue in the UK?

Thanks

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
They’ll replace the phone unless you just happen to get someone who is unreasonable, just show them what’s wrong with it I’m sure they’ll take care of it

Reactions: willmtaylor

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
I’d say they’ll replace the phone but it’s not up to me. My X doesn’t look like that. Just go in and see what they say, if they give you trouble compare it to a display model to show the difference..

Reactions: willmtaylor

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
I’d say they’ll replace the phone but it’s not up to me. My X doesn’t look like that. Just go in and see what they say, if they give you trouble compare it to a display model to show the difference..
I’ve never been to a store before for an exchange so I don’t know what to expect and it’s making me nervous lol, I’ll be a bit annoyed if I get there and nothing can be done.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
I’ve never been to a store before for an exchange so I don’t know what to expect and it’s making me nervous lol, I’ll be a bit annoyed if I get there and nothing can be done.
Don’t sweat it, Apple is very good about exchanges unless it’s the 16th time you’re returning it.:D

Reactions: Superlamb

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
just be nice and polite... if the genius assigned to you will not exchange it... politely ask if it can be escalated to a manager.

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
just be nice and polite... if the genius assigned to you will not exchange it... politely ask if it can be escalated to a manager.
Thanks for the replies, it’s 2 weeks old, my carrier won’t replace again, the last one had a sim tray that didn’t sit flush.

I hope the apple store doesn’t tell me to go to my carrier as my carrier can’t help me any further

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks for the replies, it’s 2 weeks old, my carrier won’t replace again, the last one had a sim tray that didn’t sit flush.

I hope the apple store doesn’t tell me to go to my carrier as my carrier can’t help me any further
If Apple says go to the carrier, get documentation from Apple saying it is defective. The carrier should honor the warranty that comes with the iPhone against defects.

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
If Apple says go to the carrier, get documentation from Apple saying it is defective. The carrier should honor the warranty that comes with the iPhone against defects.
Ok, but I have 12 months warranty with apple and I’d rather them resolve it can the store refuse to help me ?

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ok, but I have 12 months warranty with apple and I’d rather them resolve it can the store refuse to help me ?
I don't know if the UK law differs from America. In the U.S., if a person buys a iPhone from a retailer and wants to return it etc. Apple says they need to go to the retailer. Apple may help you, since it looks like your phone is defective.

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Here in the US, Apple will refer you back to the carrier that you purchased the phone from. It's up to the carrier to replace it, not Apple. I don't know if it works the same way in the UK as your warranty laws are different from ours.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Here in the US, Apple will refer you back to the carrier that you purchased the phone from. It's up to the carrier to replace it, not Apple. I don't know if it works the same way in the UK as your warranty laws are different from ours.
Haven't had that happen across a number of different iPhones over the years--Apple as a manufacturer has provided support for the devices whether or not it has been purchased through them or a carrier.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
Never had that happen with a 3Gs, a 4S, a 5S or a 6S. I've just made appointments with the Genius Bar, and they took care of it even though some were purchased from Verizon and others from AT&T.

AppleCare is awesome like that!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Haven't had that happen across a number of different iPhones over the years--Apple as a manufacturer has provided support for the devices whether or not it has been purchased through them or a carrier.
Looks like you're correct. I just checked the Apple warranty page and it appears it doesn't matter where the phone was purchased from. As long as it's within the warranty period, Apple should repair or replace it.

I have heard from other folks though that they were told to return to their carrier.

ijon01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
*******update*******

Showed the genius the issues, walked out with replacement 10 minutes later, replacement is perfect

Are replacements refurbished or remanufactured or what?

This unit just feels better made all round

Last edited: