apple store vs AT&T for purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by littlewaywelt, Jul 1, 2008.

1. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

I've seen the thread regarding where ppl intend to purchase, but is there any upside to apple vs at&t with regards to later support, meaning if I have a problem will it be easier to deal with if I purchase at Apple or is there no difference.

If I recall correctly I can purchase applecare after the fact. I'm not interested in purchasing at apple for the "experience." I'm porting numbers as well. Can apple handle that in their stores? I suspect, in my area, that the lines will be shorter at AT&T.

2. vabigpoppa macrumors member

i think if you have things concerning your at&t service, plans, or a new customer, i would definitely goto an at&t store.

im in nyc, so there is no way in hell im going to an apple store. im sure the fifth ave store will be a mad house.

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

when you go for support there is no difference whether you bought it at apple store or at&t

4. helloadam macrumors member

I think we are going to the AT&T store. We are upgrading and it just seems like it'll go smoother if we go to the AT&T store.

5. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

I Think it will be a safer bet going to an AT&T store, the general reaction will be to run to an apple store, this way you can avoid some traffic.

6. oaxa macrumors newbie

Not sure which i'll go to
    I'm an existing ATT w family plan so i think that will slightly complicate activation so ATT would handle that better..I think
    but I've always had good experiences with apple store customer service:confused:

7. circusbass macrumors regular

I'd rather give Apple my money. AT&T is going to get enough of it as it is.

8. mynameisrichard macrumors member

According to an Apple Store employee, if you buy from an AT&T store, you'll have to go back to them if you phone gets messed up, cause you purchased from them. They'll do "the best they can" and basically go through all this BS and end up sending you to an Apple Store and you'll eventually get hassled cause you didn't buy your stuff from an Apple Store. If you buy stuff from an Apple Store in the first place, things work smoothly. Plus, the Apple Store's service is better than AT&T's (at least as far as I've seen here in Orange County.) I think I'm planning on giving my money to the Apple Store.

9. ryanxslabaugh macrumors member

If your a new ATT customer you should go to the Apple Store but if your upgrading are on a family plan and are adding other features I would go to an ATT store just because they can probably handle it smoother.

10. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I would suggest always going to an apple store for a purchase because returning the product or issues usually means going back to where you purchased the product. If you have a problem with your new phone apple is extremely gracious, especially initially within the launch, and just gives you a new device. If you purchase from ATT you then have to have it sent in and deal with a 3rd party handling your replacement which adds time/pain/and annoyance usually. Strongly suggest buying at apple and don't believe the hype that apple stores will be packed or over-run with crowds...i walked into mine on the original drop and was out within 120 seconds. This may differ now that you may need to do the in-store activation/unbrick stuff. I had a bubble on my screen 3 months ago and walked in and walked out with a new phone in 5 minutes..I doubt ATT will do that.

11. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

If you are doing a portal or upgrade ATT will be quicker as somebody above noted that the immediate reaction would be to go to the Apple Stores (which are packed the way they are anyway - regardless of iPhone launch)//

12. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Ill be at my ATT store at 8 since I work graveyard and hope there isnt a huge line. My first iPhone experience and Ive been addicted to this board since I decided to go ahead and get the phone. :D

13. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I doubt this. Apple does not care where you buy their products from.

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Agree. Apple has shown from the current model that they will help you out regardless of where you bought it.

15. Magico macrumors newbie

I will be going to the AT&T store since I was told that in order to use my FAN discount that is where I needed to go.

16. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Apple Store will help even if you bought at ATT store. I have swapped two phones at Apple store that came from ATT.

Part of me wants to go to Apple store this time around but the Att store is just minutes from my house and frankly I hate dealing with crowds any more.

Maybe Im just getting old.