Apple Store vs AT&T Store for iPhone purchase ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sounds Good, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to buying an iPhone from an AT&T Store vs buying from an Apple Store?

Likewise, are there any advantages or disadvantages to buying an iPhone from an Apple Store vs buying from an AT&T Store?

Thanks!

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

no

3. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Same product, same price, same warranty. If you're going to port a number over from another carrier go to the AT&T store, Apple store sometimes doesn't get the process right (or so I've been told)

SLC

5. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll be upgrading from an original iPhone (2G) to the iPhone 4. Will I be better off at the AT&T store?

6. DeuxIt macrumors member

if you purchase through AT&T and it is billed for on your AT&T bill instead of a direct purchase on your credit card you would lose any purchase protection your credit card may offer.

7. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm, good point. Thanks.

By the way, THIS is the kind of info I was asking about. I know that the phone is the same and the price is the same. I just figured there might be SOME advantage to buying from one place over the other.

8. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Has your contract expired?

If so, you may have an advantage at an AT&T store. Our contract expired last week. My husband and I went to an AT&T store on Monday and when he suggested we check out Verizon before signing a new contract, they offered to waive the activation fee, free cases and free screen protectors. They even put the screen protectors on for us. I don't think we would have gotten the same deal at an Apple store.

We paid with a credit card with purchase protection, so that wasn't an issue.

9. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Very interesting. Thanks, beatzfreak.

And yes, the contract is long expired. :)

10. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I wasn't aware that you can get billed for any phone purchase via AT&T? I thought all upgraded phones had to be paid upon time of purchase?

Marc

11. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Well, your mileage may vary, but they seemed pretty eager to keep us as customers once Verizon was mentioned.

12. sectime macrumors 6502a

People and atmosphere plus you can buy a nice Ipad to go with your new phone:)

13. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

I'd actually prefer to put it on a card, so this is a good thing.

To be honest, I'm very tempted to get an iPad. :) These rumors of a new one coming out before Xmas have me hesitating, though.

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

So ATT can bill you for an upgrade? Never heard of that. Always thought when you upgraded you had to pay for the phone on the spot with no option of being billed(paying for it later).

Marc

15. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

can anyone else vouch for this? im porting over 2 numbers next month

16. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Personally I go to the Apple store. Why? Because its more fun. :D

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I agree--the Apple Store is a much more pleasant experience than an AT&T store. At AT&T, you will just wait for a long time and the only thing to do is mess with all the phones you're NOT buying. (While I was waiting for my iPhone 4 to come in, I went to an AT&T store one night just to mess with the display model and they had sold it.)

At the Apple Store, I can mess with everything they sell while I wait.

Surprisingly, I am a former Apple hater. Crazy.

18. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Based on previous patterns, it will most likely be after Xmas.

19. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

Probably true. But with my luck the iPad2 will be released 31 days after I buy an iPad. ;)

20. skyking517 macrumors regular

This is 100% not true....When you upgrade, the phone must be paid for at that time.

21. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I mention it because I went to the Apple store to get my iP4, but at the last minute decided to head up to the AT&T store because I figured I'd have a much better shot at getting things like the activation fee waived etc. When I was there I was waffling back and forth between the 16 and the 32 GB models, and the 32 was only available downstairs at the apple store at the moment. Still, the AT&T store attendant suggested that since I was porting over a verizon number, if I was going to buy the 32 GB that she could call the apple store and get me the contract price, but have them release it to me unactivated so I could come up and have her do it. She said that a lot of people who had been porting numbers at the apple store had come up to her store and had to have the AT&T staff fix incorrectly ported numbers.

It may have something to do with our local apple store, but when you're counting on cancelling your other service, I tend to think it's best to let the cell-phone professionals do the dirty work.

SLC

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

If you're already on AT&T then I don't think there will be a lick of difference where you go, who's toys do you want to play with while you wait? Which is closer etc, that's the only real consideration you should need to worry about.

SLC

23. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

i see, thanks for your input dude. has anyone had a bad experience porting their number through the apple store? especially numbers from verizon?

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Is AT&T still advising customers that they have to wait 10-14 days for the iPhone to arrive at the store? If so, then you may have better luck at an Apple Store. Good luck.

25. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

My local AT&T store never seems to have iP4's in stock.

The Apple store does.