Apple Store vs. AT&T Store vs. Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gowanis, Jun 15, 2009.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

I'll be purchasing my 3GS 32GB at the end of June (week of 29th). I'm not in a rush to get it on the 19th.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of purchasing from one of the three over the others? All three are close by. I'm aware that Best Buy is offering an insurance plan, but otherwise is there any difference? Ease of return on a defective item perhaps? Anything else I should consider?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Nope they're all the same...

My personal preference is to go to the Apple store.

3. fishballer macrumors member

apple store = more fun.
    best buy = 90 days 0% financing?
    att store = closest to me.

so i went with att store.

4. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Reward Zone points?

5. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

me it's easy: AT&T store pre order guarentees a phone in person, it's closest, it's open the earliest.

6. zed macrumors 6502

I'll be going to the Apple store so I can use my $100 credit that Steve sent me (as thanks purchasing the original iPhone) :)

7. TheMBC macrumors 6502

8. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I don't acknowledge that place as a place to shop....

It simply a means of finding cheaply made items cheap, that i never need....

9. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Nope....

BB insurance is expensive but friends that have used it have not had any issues or BS or reasons why something isn't covered.

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

I have to second the Apple option unless you have a complex rate plan / account issue that needs AT&T special assistance.

There are two reasons; more inventory and and easy return if there are any issues. Applel provides warranty service for all iPhones in the US.

BestBuy is an option of you have a Rewards or Gift card or if you want the $15 per month insurance.

There were many reports last summer about issues with early returns to AT&T that resulted in the back and fourth between AT&T and Apple. If you buy it at Apple and have any "early" Issue they will give you a new phone. If you bring a AT&T purchased iPhone you may receive a "refurbished iPhone" even if you have only had the phone for a few days.

Yes, I know that the first wave of warranty iPhone 3G S units will be white box "new". As time goes, they will begin to be actual "refurbished units". This is another thread topic.

Dave

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Apple store = Ultra cool bag. :D

12. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I was waiting for that comment :D
    BUT you get it for $2 cheaper. Talk about a bargain.

13. joro macrumors 68020

joro

That you can turn around an sell on eBay...:rolleyes:

14. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

I am on a corporate account and I have to purchase through AT&T which stinks, I would rather be giving Apple as much of money as possible.

15. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies... reward zone points at best buy is something to consider i guess.

regarding the insurance plan, a best buy salesman told me that with the plan i would be able to get a brand new phone even for one dead pixel. he seemed to imply that any little problem would result in a new phone, no questions asked. can anyone comment on this?

i also fear getting a refurb. while my 1st gen iphone has been perfect from day one, prior to that i had an ipod touch which was defective and i literally went through FIVE refurb replacements (all defective) until I loudly demanded a new sealed box, which the Apple store finally gave me.

16. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Walmart = $2 cheaper,

Bestbuy = Rewards points

Att.com = Bing cashback, fre shipping

Att stores = get your phone first

Apple.com = free shipping, that's about it...

Apple store = get the whole apple experience!