Apple store vs ATT store @ most locations..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KMK420, Jul 10, 2008.

1. KMK420 macrumors member

So, which one should i rush to line up at? AT&T or Apple? Is there a difference? Can both stores create me a new ATT account/sell me the iphone? There is both an apple store and an att store right in the same mall here, and when i go in i want to be the first hopefully, as the mall opens an hour before the store does, so no pre-lines are possible..

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

If it is a business account, you have to go to the ATT store... That's the only difference that I know of.

3. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

would establishing an account with a FAN number be considered a business account? it seems like when i applied for my employee (comcast) discount with ATT they give a fan number but send you to a ATT premier / business website..

4. jasincity macrumors member

Yes. It has been noted that Apple will not be able to help you with FAN accounts thus the reason I'm heading to AT&T instead :( .

5. KMK420 thread starter macrumors member

To ATT I go

6. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

7. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

You have two options to get the FAN discount.
    1) go to Apple and get it all done there but without the FAN Discount. Apply the FAN discount at home over the phone with AT&T. Though it's possible this could mean your discount wouldn't be applied to the first bill. Not sure about that though.
    2) Go to AT&T and get it all done in one shot.

If my discount actually applied to the iPhone and I had access to an AT&T and Apple store in the same mall, my decision would be based on the lines (or lack thereof) at the stores.

8. w00tme macrumors member

If you already have a FAN on your account and go to an apple store, it won't be taken off will it?

9. izibo macrumors 6502

No. And according to people I've spoken with at apple and at at&t, you should be fine at either store as long as it is a personal account. If you are concerned, I would go to an at&t store just to be on the safe side. Personally, I'm going to an apple store.

10. w00tme macrumors member

Thanks!

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What makes you say that?

12. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Because the FAN number stays with your account at all times. Even if you had a FAN and got the first iPhone, it stayed on the account even though it didn't provide any discount. Moving off the iPhone-specific rate plans should cause the discount to kick back in.

The AT&T reps told me that Apple won't be able to establish a new FAN account, but pre-existing personal account holders won't have any trouble. If you've kept notes, the reps seem to be pretty consistent on this point. Even if it does happen to somehow get pulled off the account, getting it applied is an automated process you could simply redo online.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

So I just called 611 (customer service) to ask them and it transferred me to business customer service.

It's still a "personal account" as my family pays for it (it's a family plan). The only reason it would be business is that I have the FAN number of my university giving me the discount (well, not yet, but in a billing cycle or two). Do I have this right? Am I still a personal account even though I got transferred to business customer service? I mean, my family still pays for it and everything, it is through no company.

I don't care if they take it off in the store, I can always add it back. My main concern is that I'm going to get to the Apple store and it will, for some reason, not work because I'd be classified as a corporate account or something.