Apple Store Vs. Best Buy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dtp8513, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

Im in boca raton, fl.. there is an apple store nearby and a best buy.. Im getting off work at 3:00 and heading there.. which would be the best option for me?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd guess that the Apple store would have started out with more iPads than BB, which in many cases sounds to be very limited on stock, so your odds may be better at Apple. However, by 3pm it may be a moot point.

3. Kenal0 macrumors regular

Apple Store- Best supply, lots of employees and know how to handle this situation.
    Best Buy- Nobody knows how many, probably did not bring in any extra help and does not know how to handle based on previous iphone releases where people who preordered waited hours to get what should have taken a few minutes.
    I say Apple Store all the way.

Kenal0

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

5. ImaVeggie macrumors regular

ImaVeggie

I'm buying from Best Buy so I can get 18 months Interest Free Financing. If I don't get one today, I'll get one eventually. I still have my original iPad so all's good.

6. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Apple at Town Center will have 100x as many iPads.

7. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I'm in boca too, the Best Buy in West Boca has about 200 iPads and no one was waiting at the store when I was there an hour ago. Not sure how the Apple store in Town Center looks right now.

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Think outside the box go to Target or Walmart. I bet they have smaller lines if any. Everyone going to go the the Apple store and of you're not lined up now I wouldn't even go.

9. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Hogwash. I waltzed in two hours after they started selling iPad 1 and got one with no problem last time. This time around Apple will likely have a lot more product in the channel, so the idea that getting one today is out of the question if you're not already lined up is flat out absurd.

10. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

Generic response on a site like this. You don't know how well Best Buy is handling this. You don't know if they know how many they have at the Boca store.

Just because Apple has more employees than customers at any time during the day doesn't mean they will be any faster at handling checkout. I prefer Best Buy as I can't stand the fake smiles and the lack of knowledge I've seen at all 3 Apple Stores in this area. Best Buy all the way. Extremely fast and not trying to pimp accessories or other junk, even if they see you already have all you need in hand.

Basically, call your local Best Buy and get more info. If you have experienced good things from one or the other, go there. Simple as that.

11. dmunz macrumors regular

+1

fwiw
    dlm

12. Kenal0 macrumors regular

There is not a Best Buy within 5 miles of an Apple Store that will have close to the number of ipads for sale today. No way no how. Just does not happen that way. They might have a decent supply but Apple Store will always have far more. Basic economics- Sell to Best Buy at wholesale of sell to consumer at retail.

Kenal0

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

OMG! :eek: A dose of sanity on iPad2 day at MacRumors!!! I can't believe it!!!

:p

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You might have a better experience at the apple store.

15. Greenhoe macrumors regular

The thing you don't know is that Apple sells to best buy at retail, I use to work at Best Buy and I know there is no markup at all on any Apple Products, this is for any store that sells Apple.

How Best Buy makes their money is through accessories, and warranties.

16. smetvid macrumors 6502

Also keep in mind Best buy has the Reward Zone where you can get cash back for your iPad. Since iPads do not have educational pricing even students are better off buying at Best Buy since they will basically be getting a free iTunes card or whatever else they want a few months down the road. Sure you may not get it today but is it really the end of the world if you have to wait a few extra days? This desire to have it at launch could be considered a border line mental disorder.

17. Kenal0 macrumors regular

I guess you learn something every day.
    I stand corrected.

Kenal0

18. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just went to my local Best Buy in Folsom, Calif and they are not passing out numbers, and they're not sure how they're going to organize the crowd. I think it's going to be very unorganized.

Apple usually does a good job of product releases, so I'll go the Apple Store route...even though it's further away. I think they'll have a lot more product available as well.

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I like the Apple Store over Best Buy. For PC stuff, software, and lots of other stuff, they yes, Best Buy (or Fry's Electronics) are great.

But Apple has the tutoring/genius bar which is something no other store has and with so many new users to OS X, the Apple Store has that plus. If you want to learn how to use a computer for the first time (many seniors and young kids) and it's running Windows 7, then you are on your own.

Many times when I go to the Apple Store, they are busiest in the one on one area and genius bar. It's a great feature and helps people attune themselves to OS X as quickly as possible. While I don't see OS X overtaking Windows in my lifetime, there are still enough switchers out there to keep the very few Apple Stores there are very busy.

At some point, iOS will probably merge with OS X, and while they are easier and better laid out than anything Microsoft, there's still a great need for the one on one. Even if Macs are no longer a product from Apple, and the iDevices completely evolve into Mac territory (having started with iMovie and Garage Band), people will have to undo a lot of their Microsoft-isms.

20. carlili4190 macrumors regular

Best buy at boyton beach has about 10 people in line as of 2:15(what the person on the phone said)

21. wkennedy74 macrumors member

Called Best Buy East Indianapolis (Washington Square)

21 people in line, I asked how many they had, she said

"I cannot (display) that information...."

I am thinking Apple store now based on that response alone :rolleyes: