Apple Store vs Official Reseller

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Ol3s, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

It is cheaper to get games at a reseller in switzerland than at an apple store. NFS Carbon: Reseller 29.90CHF Apple Store 57.90CHF
    And some prices are just crazy at the apple store, 79.90 Ennemy Territory: Quake Wars, same for CoD 4. AoE 3 is 99.00.

And then theres this tiny word at the back of my mind saying, more like screaming, "TORRENT, TORRENT GODDAMN IT"

2. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

If it's official, then I say just get a reseller. Apple is a reseller, so same difference, just their prices won't go down from MSRP.

I use torrent to test to make sure the game works on my PC and see if it's any good. Then I buy unless there is SecuROM or some other crap that oddly enough a Pirated version is better to have. This is b/c PC games are so finicky with systems etc. Which is why consoles sometimes are just easier, but I do both.

3. Ol3s thread starter macrumors regular

Ol3s

What i'm trying to say is that there is no logic to this, that apple store is more expensive

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

There appears to be very little logic to a lot of what Apple does.

5. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Like already said, Apple charge full price (RRP - Recommended Retail Price, or MSRP - Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price). This is usually the manufacturers selling price (to Apple / Re-seller) - which includes all the manufacturers profit - plus between another 75% (high volume items) to another 300% (low volume items - like Mac software).

So your local reseller has a lot of movement in the price, if you ask in-store. Go in and ask for discount, a few don't but maybe 80% of the time I get extra money off. The worst thing that can happen is that they say "No".

Worked on too many stock control systems to pay through university, where I was privy to see retail profit margins. Maybe changed days now, but I still always ask and nearly always get, sometimes only a few pounds, sometimes many thousands, once over sixty thousand.

6. Supaklaw macrumors regular

There is no advantage of buying games from the Apple Store. They aren't the manufacturer, nor do they offer any warranty or protection if the software fails. Software is software, buy it where it's cheapest... eBay, Amazon, Best Buy, etc.