Apple Store vs Other Retailers (Amazon etc.)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ellizit, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Ellizit macrumors newbie

Hi all. I am in the market for my first Mac. Shopping around I see that the choices of where to buy one (for me) boil down to pretty much the Apple Store and Amazon.com.

I suppose I would like to know if buying from Amazon has ever given anyone any trouble with Apple customer service? For instance if I have any problems, would buying my Mac from Amazon be a problem? Are there any other "drawbacks" from buying from Amazon (other than not being able to customize your machine as much as you may like)?

Thanks!

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

absolutely not. Amazon is the better route, if you are looking to save a couple of hundred bucks. free shipping, no tax....sweet.

people have reported some trouble getting applecare registered through amazon, though its no biggie. You have to fax apple a copy of your receipt from amazon, whereas if you get it from any apple store, the registration is automatic.

3. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Yeah, like what about Macconnection.com? I've heard good and bad. I'm looking to get a 2.4 MB, at the Apple store I'd get $100 off with student discount. At Macconnection.com I'd get $200 off, first $100, and then a $100 mail-in-rebate. And there's no sales tax.

What do you guys think? Is there an added security of buying at the Apple store?

4. Ellizit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! That was the exact information I was looking for! :)

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Ok sorry, to do this, but instead of polluting the place with more "help me" threads, I figured I'd ask in here because it's fairly similar.

I'm buying a laptop for school, I'm sold on apple. The question now is just threading the fine line between buying what I can afford to and buying with the idea of growing into the computer rather than out of. So, my dad is paying for the first $1300, to keep things fair with older siblings who got computers for their college years as well. I'm a freshmen at GMU so have been going computer less for the first semester. I get an education discount which is $100 off. So I think I'm going to get the 2.4 MB which means I'd have to add $200. Understandable, right? But if I go to a sight like Macconnection.com I can get the base MBP for $1750, I'd give my dad $450, and no sales tax. How is Macconnection.com? I haven't heard a lot about them. And are rebates always honored?

So, now on to what I need the computer for;
    School work, papers, stuff like that.
    Internet surfing, listening to music, using iLife playing around with those things. iChat video stuff. But, I think I may also want to play CoD WaW or something like that BF2. IDK. I may want to play those. Maybe in the future I'll need to run an AutoCad program for engineering. IDK

Basically, I fear that I'd outgrow the 2.4 MB, where as I'd grow into the MBP 2.4. What are your thoughts? There's also the safety of just buying from the Apple store, as opposed to buying online and shipping and such.

Thanks for the help,
    -Steve

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Basically, I fear that I'd outgrow the 2.4 MB, where as I'd grow into the MBP 2.4.

In what way, I love my BMB, but my daughter wanted a 15 " screen, I can see her point, a non issue for me as my BMB stays tethered to a cart and 24" monitor on an ergonomic arm. Speed wise, my BMB has 6GB of Ram (a 2Gb and 4 GB set) and an upgraded 7200 320 Gb HDD. Speed wise who needs more? MB's are to me, easier to upgrade, although the Uni-Body MBP has made HDD and Ram upgrading easy too.
    Probably just non answers for you, just something to think about :cool: BTW I bought her MBP at Mac Connection for $1699 w/ rebates

7. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I thought the MB motherboards could only handle 4GB, leaving you with a useless 2GB.

"Basically, I fear that I'd outgrow the 2.4 MB, where as I'd grow into the MBP 2.4"

In that, eventually my needs for the computer would be to demanding for the specs. I'm afraid if I buy the MB that eventually I may need the separate video card. Is it really that much more awesome power?

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you're going to end up doing 3D CAD, the MBP is the way to go. From the little I've looked, most require separate video RAM.

9. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Yeah, but that's just a hypothetical situation. The chances of me needing to do that are unknown. It's just a question of whether I should get an MBP which would insure that I'd be able to run more demanding apps in the future.

10. gothamm macrumors 6502a

get the macbook pro, keep it for 3-4 years, don't look back. $1800 from amazon after rebate. very safe buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB470LL...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229385660&sr=8-1

11. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

How can companies like Amazon and Macconnection offer Apple Computers at such a low price? Sometimes $100-$200 cheaper than at the Apple store.