Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asharahmed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2014
Was looking to get a different color iPhone as an exchange, went in, asked them if they had stock, they said they did, I say I want to exchange for a different color and show them my online receipt. The guy says they can't accept a exchange for an online order, and that I would have to return to the online store and buy it again if they have stock. Same thing for anything else purchased online. I found it odd as I wasn't doing a return, just an exchange for something that is the same price...

I'm pretty surprised and I feel like that this isn't the case. Any Apple reps here who can clarify?

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
They treat online store and apple store differently for returns and exchange.
You should've just purchased the phone that they had in stock and requested a return on the other phone since you're still at the 14 days return period.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
You might want to point out that you're in Canada (right?)... Things might be different up here.

You might also want to phone Apple Support, and get the scoop from them. They can talk to the store if they need to straighten them out.

C

Reactions: jgelin

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Not sure about Canada, but in US, they do allow an exchange even if you purchased it online. I've done this few times with no issues. But of course might be different in Canada.

jmfangio

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
NorCal
Not sure about Canada, but in US, they do allow an exchange even if you purchased it online. I've done this few times with no issues. But of course might be different in Canada.
Same here. Come to think of it...every exchange I have had was an online purchase exchanged in person. Must be a Canada thing. Bummer.

freedomisle

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
Was looking to get a different color iPhone as an exchange, went in, asked them if they had stock, they said they did, I say I want to exchange for a different color and show them my online receipt. The guy says they can't accept a exchange for an online order, and that I would have to return to the online store and buy it again if they have stock. Same thing for anything else purchased online. I found it odd as I wasn't doing a return, just an exchange for something that is the same price...

I'm pretty surprised and I feel like that this isn't the case. Any Apple reps here who can clarify?

I had a similar problem when my iPad Air 2 arrived with a defect last year. I had ordered it online and when I spoke to an Apple representative about bringing it to the Apple Store for an exchange they said I couldn't. Now to answer your question they told me it was due to different stocks and anything purchased through the apple website has to be returned through them. So I went and purchased a new IPad Air 2 at the Apple Store and then arranged to get the defected one collected via a courrier. I was fortunate that I had the funds to purchase another one while waiting for a refund on the defective iPad. I always purchase from an Apple Store now so if anything goes wrong I can just get it swapped at the store.

Chicki

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Yeah I had to return my Macbook due to a speaker issue, and same thing. I purchased it online and they wouldn't do a straight exchange, I had to purchase a new one and they sent the old Macbook back for me.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Has to be a Canada thing. Just this past Friday I did an exchange from an online order. No issue at all.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
When I purchased my rMBP15 online and picked up at the store. I went home and noticed a small ding at the bottom. I went back few days later to the same store and they exchanged it for with a brand new one without any issue. They even asked me if I want to open the box and inspect the new one and making sure that I am completely happy before I take off. My experience was very plansant and the blue shirt(at the time) was very helpful.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
May be Canadian but in the US, the online store and retail store are interchangeable.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Same as the UK. I'm told that UK Apple Stores and UK Apple Sales online are 2 different companies and so can't handle each others 14 days exchange and refunds.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I returned my online order to the apple store and bought a different color. Just do it as a return, have them put the money on a gift card, and buy the phone you want.

Edit: NM, looks like you are not in the US. As others said, the US they treat online and in-store as the same thing.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Different policies for different countries.

In the UK, there is a firm divide between the online and retail stores. Neither can process each others returns, their systems just won't allow it. It's not the retail store being awkward for the sake of it, they literally can't do it.

If AppleCare/ Apple Support has told you anything different, ignore it. They are generally clueless.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I had the same trouble last year. I'm unsure why they process this way (probably just ease of keeping stock) but it puts up some roadblocks for people trying to exchange an item that it low in stock and heavily sought after. If a simple return and repurchase are an option I would do that.

RS232

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Same here in Hong Kong. Online orders cannot be returned to a Store. Ordered a iPhone 6s online but a few days later wanted a 6s Plus... So, had to return the 6s by DHL (Apple arranged that) and purchased the 6s Plus from a Store. Mind you, Apple quickly refunded my credit card once they received and checked the 6s. Here in HK they slap on a 'restocking fee' too but Apple kindly waived that as I was changing to a 6s Plus. Customers in the US are lucky with their return arrangements!

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I returned my online order to the apple store and bought a different color. Just do it as a return, have them put the money on a gift card, and buy the phone you want.

Edit: NM, looks like you are not in the US. As others said, the US they treat online and in-store as the same thing.

Just did this exact thing lastnight when I found a SG 128GB 6s+ here locally. They returned the old iPhone to a giftcard and used that to purchase the new one. They also transferred my AppleCare over as well. Easy process. Must be different there. That sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.